How to install OpenEMM on RHEL and its forks

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

nickw

Re: How to install OpenEMM on RHEL and its forks

Post by nickw »

I know there is no reference to it in the documentation, yet it is in the code, is referenced in error messages, and is being called upon during the database install portion of the install. I have attached the error message in a previous reply, along with the locations in scripts where the console user is being referenced.
JuergenB

Post by JuergenB »

Hi,

i can confirm that the openemm_21.10_install_admin_guide_1.0.5 still has errors and is not verified.
There are some typos and wrong instructions.

one example i failed a few times. Chapter 5.1 MariaDB instructs to create some files.
But these files already exists and are overwriten if you do this without validation.

I have installed 21.04 several times at RHEL 7, RHEL 8, Cent OS Stream and Almalinux.
But the new openemm_21.10_install_admin_guide_1.0.5 needs to be revised by third party.

After a succesfully installation of all prerequisites, OpenEMM still states, that mariadb is not installed.
I followed the instructions carefully, but it´s still not working.

looks like it´s not comaptible with Almalinux 8.5

I tried it with openemm-runtime-21.10.044.tar.gz
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

1. It would be interesting to know the errors you found in the doc.

2. We have two independent trainees who managed to install OpenEMM by following the guide.

3. We have migrated our servers to AlmaLinux and I can report that it is running fine.

4. I wonder how OpenEMM can state that MariaDB is not installed. Maybe you meant OMT? If so, which menu reports this with which wording?
OpenEMM Maintainer
JuergenB

Post by JuergenB »

1. It would be interesting to know the errors you found in the doc.

mmh, maybe it was my fault. usally i install Python 3.8 (without DBMS module) first and then these files i should create at page 14 already exists.
So i changed the installation today and installed first Mariadb as described in chapter 5.1
The the files i should create do not exist (page 14).

Then i installed Python 3.8 and finally added the DBMS modul.

I still don´t understand, why the admin guide is jumping between the chapter, it would be much easier to have a linear installation guide.

Describe the installation of DBMS and then Python 3.8 with all requirements.

OK, so i did it againg and checked the installation order (first DBMS, then python 3.8 and last the DBMS python module).

2. We have two independent trainees who managed to install OpenEMM by following the guide.
Can they use a scratch AlmaLinux 8.5 with minimal software selection AND follow guide word by word?

3. We have migrated our servers to AlmaLinux and I can report that it is running fine.
a migration from CentOs Stream to 21.10 is fine for my installation, this works.
But not a clean installation, maybe try a installation from scratch.

4. I wonder how OpenEMM can state that MariaDB is not installed. Maybe you meant OMT? If so, which menu reports this with which wording?
Yes, you are right. It´s the OMT complaining about.

After following the admin guide 1.0.5 step by step and starting OMT i can configure the envirement (java, tomcat, etc. installs fine).
I can configure dbms but i can´t create the database.

OMT v21.10.044 give me this error message

Code: Select all

=============================================
= OpenEMM Maintenance Tool (OMT) v21.10.044 =
=============================================
Root mode: On
Hostname: localhost.localdomain
OpenEMM Runtime Version: 21.10.044
OpenEMM Version: Unknown
System-Url: Unknown
Database client (mariadb) is missing, therefore some menu items are not availabe

Changes saved.

Database and user do not exist and cannot be created. Please create database and user yourself.

i can execute mariadb or mysql at the shell and get the mariadb console

Any idea what is missing in the installation guide?
For 21.04 i always use the CentOs mariadb installation and no tarball.

If i upgrade to mariadb with the default installation to Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.5.13--MariaDB
I have no errors in configuring OpenEMM with OMT.

curl -LsS -O https://downloads.mariadb.com/MariaDB/mariadb_repo_setup
sudo bash mariadb_repo_setup --mariadb-server-version=10.5 
sudo dnf repolist
sudo dnf -y module reset mariadb
sudo dnf install MariaDB-server MariaDB-client MariaDB-backup
sudo dnf info MariaDB-server
sudo systemctl enable --now mariadb
systemctl status mariadb
sudo systemctl restart mariadb

With mariadb 10.8 the installation fails during sql script execution

Executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-messages.sql
Executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-messages-deleted.sql
Executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-messages-openemm.sql
Executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-update-21.01.197-basic.sql
Executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-update-21.01.420-basic.sql
ERROR 1060 (42S21) at line 11: Duplicate column name 'origin'
Error while executing /home/openemm/webapps/emm/WEB-INF/sql/mysql/emm-mysql-update-21.01.420-basic.sql
SQL database updates caused an error. Press any key to continue.
Thanks

Jürgen
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Our trainees did the installation on AlmaLinux and they had to follow the install guide. All feedback from them was incorporated up to version 1.0.5 of the guide.

We have not tested OpenEMM with a MariaDB version higher than 10.5. Please be aware that some community editions of MariaDB have major bugs (see MariaDBr change logs). That is why we recommend specific versions from the archive (see install guide for details).
OpenEMM Maintainer
JuergenB

Post by JuergenB »

In Chapter 3.2

For the backend of OpenEMM 21.10 you have to compile and install Python 3.8 or later. This has to be done after the DBMS is installed and before the database driver is installed and linked with the DBMS libraries.

In Chapter 5.1

If you want to use OpenEMM with a MariaDB database, you have to install the database software before you install the Python database driver for MariaDB.

In 3.1 you say, not to install Python 3.8 before DBMS. And in 5.1 you only talk about the db driver, so it should be fine to install python 3.8 and install the mariadb driver after installation of DBMS?

So I tried again, following the guide…
OMT complains that the mariadb libs are missing.
I installed from archive.mariadb.org

In Chapter 4.1 you say NOT to install the libs …

Note: If you have installed MariaDB not from archive.mariadb.org as described in chapter MariaDB but from a repository, you have to install the libs that provide the API for third party software, so that the Python module mariadb is able to accesss MariaDB.
For RHEL execute
# yum install mariadb-connector-c mariadb-connector-c-devel

I think the libs are required, even if you install from archive…

But again, OMT canˋt find the mariadb client.

Only with the default mariadb 10.5.8 from repo it works fine.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Thanks for your extensive feedback. We will check it and get back to you soon.
OpenEMM Maintainer
JuergenB

Post by JuergenB »

This is the error i get after starting OMT and configuring the database configuration

Root mode: On
Hostname: localhost.localdomain
OpenEMM Runtime Version: 21.10.044
OpenEMM Version: Unknown
System-Url: Unknown
Database client (mariadb) is missing, therefore some menu items are not availabe

Changes saved.

Database and user do not exist and cannot be created. Please create database and user yourself.

Current configuration changes or updates need the OpenEMM system to be restarted.