Frequent Crashing

Use this forum for all other questions regarding OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

jim_frey

Frequent Crashing

Post by jim_frey »

I have OpenEMM installed on a CentOS machine. When OpenEMM is working, it's awesome, but it seems to crash every couple days. I have to then log into the machine, stop and start OpenEMM, and then it seems fine again.

It's not always the same error that comes up (I'll have to start posting the errors now.)

Is anyone else having problems with the application being stable? This is an awesome application, it's just I can't quite trust it to be stable yet.
jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

Here's the error I see today ---

Ein Fehler ist aufgetreten
Ursache: org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate operation: Cannot open connection; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [???]; SQL state [null]; error code [0]; Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted; nested exception is org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted

I rebooted it and everything seems fine again.
jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

It crashed again, here's the error message ---

Ursache: javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: Error: org.springframework.jdbc.CannotGetJdbcConnectionException: Could not get JDBC Connection; nested exception is org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
maschoff
Site Admin

Hibernate problems

Post by maschoff »

Every once in a while there seems to be a problem with Hibernate under load. We are aware of this problem and are checking the Hibernate configuration right now. We will provide you with either a change of the configuration or revised code in the next release of OpenEMM.
OpenEMM Maintainer
jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

Here's the error I got today. The crashing seems to happen when I check the recipient statistics.

Ursache: javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspTagException: Error: org.springframework.jdbc.CannotGetJdbcConnectionException: Could not get JDBC Connection; nested exception is org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
maschoff
Site Admin

Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted

Post by maschoff »

The only workaround right now is a periodic restart of OpenEMM - once per day for instance.

We will fix the problem in the next version of OpenEMM.
OpenEMM Maintainer
jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

Alright, I'll just write a shell script for now. It's a really cool application, thanks for the help.
jim_frey

Post by jim_frey »

Ever since I started sending 17K emails a day to my regular mailing list, the problem went away.
OpenEMM Moderator
danieljones2006
Location: suite no.-20, apartment-5, Near W21st street,Zenia,California-95595

Post by danieljones2006 »

I think the flaw of being unstable has been solved lang back. One doesn't have to worry anymore.
jihuang

Post by jihuang »

i am seeing this problem at version 6.1, can anyone tell me what do i need to do in order to fix it?

An error occurred
Cause: javax.servlet.ServletException: org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate operation: Cannot open connection; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [???]; SQL state [null]; error code [0]; Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted; nested exception is org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
SoBeverly

Re:

Post by SoBeverly »

jihuang wrote:i am seeing this problem at version 6.1, can anyone tell me what do i need to do in order to fix it?

An error occurred
Cause: javax.servlet.ServletException: org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate operation: Cannot open connection; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [???]; SQL state [null]; error code [0]; Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted; nested exception is org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
Same here! Are there any suggestions?

change wav to mp3
wav to mp3 converter
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Frequent Crashing

Post by maschoff »

Please describe the version you use and the situation that leads to this error message.
OpenEMM Maintainer
bit-factory

Re: Re:

Post by bit-factory »

SoBeverly wrote:
jihuang wrote:i am seeing this problem at version 6.1, can anyone tell me what do i need to do in order to fix it?

An error occurred
Same here! Are there any suggestions?

change wav to mp3
wav to mp3 converter
We are also encountering a similar problem with 6.2.

OpenEMMVersion: 6.2
System: Ubuntu Server 2.6.38-8-server

While sending out a mailing with ~8k recipients yesterday we noticed that the statistics page was not accessible any more. It just does not stop loading and blocks any other action so the only way to be able to do something else in the interface is to close the tab and relogin.
Also the unsubscribe and change profile links in the mailing lead to the page where Openemm recognizes the klick and should forward the user to the related form. Also no further action here, it just keeps loading and terminates with a timeout.
In our test runs before sending the mailing every function described above was tested and running properly.
On the other hand normal links inside the mailing which are also routed over Openemm seem to work fine.

After 2-3 hours while sending, openemm started crashing. The result is the same error as stated in the previous posts:
After stopping and starting Openemm the mailing continued sending and the interface was accessible again except of statistics and forms. It also continued crashing at about 2-3 hours.
We only send 200 mails per 20 minutes so there should not be any "heavy load" on hibernate i guess.

Probably interesting at this point is the fact that also statistics of previous mailings are also not available any more. They also were fine before sending the mailing.
The mailing is sent now but the problem is still present.

Our next step is to turn up Tomcat's log level as we could not find anything in /home/openemm/var/log or /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out. But we also wanted to ask here if this error is already known.

Thank you very much

Ps:
Before the error occoured we already sent a mailing to the same recipients a month ago without any problems. What has happend since then is that we once deleted all recipients from the database and reimported them (nearly the same dataset with some minor changes). We also set up Bounce Filters for the mailings.
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Frequent Crashing

Post by maschoff »

OpenEMM was never tested with Tomcat. You should either use Resin (provided with the binary tarball) or switch to OpenEMM 2011 (which does run with Tomcat).

The error message simply indicates that OpenEMM can not access MySQL any longer because the connection pool ran out of connections. See section 5.7 of the OpenEMM Install Guide on how to increase the pool size. And to understand the reason behind you should have a look at the log files.
OpenEMM Maintainer