Bounce setup problem - relaying denied error

Post by adameq »

I have the following setup:

host.company.com - host server
news.company.com - domain for bounces
mailshots go out with sender address: news@news.company.com
bav.conf-local:

news@news.company.com alias:ext_1@host.company.com

returns/bounce email go back to the openemm server ok - can see them arrive in the sendmail maillog but they are getting:

Jun 23 11:23:11 company sendmail[11589]: o5N9NAsN011589: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<news@news.company.com>, relay=mail.xxxx.org [92.60.xxx.xxx], reject=550 5.7.1 <news@news.company.com>... Relaying denied

I have setup a bounce filter in openemm for ext_1

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Barry
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Please change bav.conf-local to

Code: Select all

news@news.company.com  alias:ext_1@news.company.com
Sendmail's message "Relaying denied" could indicate that domain news.company.com is not included in /etc/mail/relay-domains. (And if it is really missing you probably did not follow the instructions of the install guide.)
OpenEMM Maintainer
adameq

Post by adameq »

There is no mention of: "/etc/mail/relay-domains" in my install manual (I am using the VMware version). This is how to setup the bounce management in the 6.x install manual for v6 vmware:
8.2 Bounce management
The bounce management provides you with the capability to keep your mailinglists clean and up-to-date automatically. A
bounce message is an error message, which will be send from a mailserver on the recipient's sider to the sender, if an email
is not deliverable. The bounce management administrates e-mails which are temporarily or enduringly undeliverable.
It also filters the error messages and autoresponder mails.
If you want OpenEMM to process bounces received during the send process (instant bounces) no further configuration is
required, because bounce management for instant bounces works out of the box. However, if you want OpenEMM also to
process bounces (and autoresponder mails) which are received hours or even days later (delayed bounces) you have to
do some setup. This is recommended if you send mailings to large lists because the number of delayed bounces and
autoresponder mails will be significant and the automated bounce management by OpenEMM will save you a lot of work.
If you want to use the bounce management for delayed bounces you need to define a dedicated sender hostname for
OpenEMM which is different from the existing host name of your server (see file hosts in directory /etc) and you have to
set up an A record and a MX (Mail Exchanger) record in your Domain Name Server (DNS) for the sender hostname. The
MX record is used to route mail for a domain to one or more IP addresses. OpenEMM needs the new (virtual) host as a
destination, to forward all incoming response to, for further processing by OpenEMM.
In our example the regular hostname is host and the sender hostname for OpenEMM will be news. The (abbreviated)
DNS entry looks like this:
---Domain: openemm.org---
86400 IN A 0 83.220.154.85
host 86400 IN A 10 83.220.154.85
news 86400 IN A 10 83.220.154.85
news.openemm.org. 86400 IN MX 10 host.openemm.org.
---Domain: openemm.org---
The first line assigns the IP address for openemm.org and the second line defines the regular hostname. The third and
fourth line define the A record and MX record for sender hostname news, meaning that host host accepts e-mails sent to
host news.
Validate your correct setup by using a tool like host or dig, for example
host –a openemm.org
host –a host.openemm.org
host –a news.openemm.org
When you send e-mails and want to take advantage of the bounce management for delayed bounces there are two
possibilities for the format of the sender address:
A.) Use whatever address you like. Set up a bounce filter in OpenEMM (see user manual) to foward the filtered response
to a feedback e-mail address of your choice (different from the sender address, of course). Implement a forward
mechanism to forward incoming mail sent back to the sender address to the forward address generated by the bounce
filter (in our example ext_1@news.openemm.org). The flow for responses of your e-mails works like this:
sender address -> filter-generated forward address (to filter out bounces) -> feedback address
B.) Use an e-mail address with the sender hostname (in our example news@news.openemm.org) Since no real e-mail
addresses exist for the sender hostname, normally it would not be possible to reply to an e-mail with this sender address.
To forward responses to a valid e-mail address you have to define a bounce filter with an e-mail feedback address of your
choice. The forward address generated by the bounce filter (in our example ext_1@news.openemm.org) has to be
defined as an alias in directory /home/openemm/conf/bav in a new file named bav.conf-local. Our example:
---File: /home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.conf-local----
news@news.openemm.org alias:ext_1@news.openemm.org
---File: /home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.conf-local ----
The flow for responses of your e-mails works like this:
sender address -> bav.conf-local -> filter-generated forward address -> feedback address
If you create the file bav.conf-local please do not forget to re-create it after an update of OpenEMM – otherwise it would
be missing!
adameq

Post by adameq »

I have looked the suse/red hat config sections to get the missing bits for the vmware server.

I have /etc/mail/relay-domain & /etc/mail/mailertable set correctly.

When I send a test email to my reply to address: news@news.company.com
I see it in maillog, it is accepted ok but nothing seems to happen to it & I get no auto reply as per the filter & no email goes to the forward address:
Jun 29 16:46:26 host sendmail[21120]: o5TEkO19021120: from=<admin@xxxx.co.uk>, size=11144, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<ea3be604d08508fe6fe59dd33497b224@xxxx.co.uk>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=mail.xxxxxxx.org [92.60.105.88]
Jun 29 16:46:26 host sendmail[21120]: o5TEkO19021120: Milter add: header: X-AGNMailloop: from=<admin@xxxx.co.uk>,rid=local,to=<news@news.company.com>
Jun 29 16:46:26 host sendmail[21120]: o5TEkO19021120: Milter add: header: X-AGNLoop: set
Jun 29 16:46:27 host sendmail[21123]: o5TEkO19021120: to=<news@news.company.com>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=procmail, pri=131144, relay=/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
Is there a log file somewhere to show what is happening to the incoming email?

Thanks

Barry
cardiffcreative

Re: Bounce setup problem - relaying denied error

Post by cardiffcreative »

I have the same problem as the last post ^^

Did you ever work this out?

I just checked at the emails are in a file /home/openemm/var/spool/filter/sent-local
So they are getting so far..
cardiffcreative

Post by cardiffcreative »

Fixed my problem and as I said in a different thread, Bounce Management doesn't work for Administrator and Test Users... by design apparently.
jonnblaze

Post by jonnblaze »

I have looked the suse/red hat config sections to get the missing bits for the vmware server. I have /etc/mail/relay-domain & /etc/mail/mailertable set correctly.
gHost rIdEr