Does EMM work with postfix?

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

lilolme

Does EMM work with postfix?

Post by lilolme »

I read the installation guide and it says that it uses sendmail.
It also says that if I wanted to use the internal SMTP I should disable postfix.
It does not say to disable postfix otherwise.

I am using postfix on my server and except for this everything else is a good match
java/tomcat/mysql.

My hosting provider said they can install sendmail but can provide limited support for it.

1. Postfix has a sendmail alias so it might work. Before I delve into it I wanted to ask here.
Has anyone tried EMM with postfix sendmail alias?
Could one of the EMM developers give some feedback on this?

If the sendmail alias is sufficient I would rather leave this alone.

2. How does the EMM internal SMTP server compare to sendmail etc? Is it stable?
footprint? My hosting provider will not be able to provide support so would it
be something I can manage myself (Its just me at the moment)
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Does EMM work with postfix?

Post by maschoff »

This is what the Install Guide says:
OpenEMM does not work with other MTAs than Sendmail or its internal SMTP server!
And you can not run two MTAs in parallel on one server. So, I am sorry to say that postfix is not an option.
OpenEMM Maintainer
Anton

Post by Anton »

This is not strictly true... While obviously true that the solution will not work *out of the box* with anything other than sendmail or the internal SMTP, it is also true that the internal SMTP has an easy mechanism to proxy to a second SMTP server. In the docs and elsewhere this is referred to as a smart host or smart relay. You can thus push on to a high performance SMTP relay (or even an external SMTP service like SendGrid, or whatever) and gain probably an order of magnitude in terms of performance. This definitely complicates things like bounce management but seems managable if you know what you are doing.
In your case (with postfix on a single box), this would probably be very hard to set up but it can definitely be done (easily) on a multi-machine architecture.
DISCLAIMER - I have set this up and it works but have not yet tested in a production environment.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

OpenEMM Maintainer