Using SMTP with OpenEMM 2013

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

FaBo

Using SMTP with OpenEMM 2013

Post by FaBo »

Hello there,

I'm dealing with OpenEMM for a couple of weeks now so I decided to register to this message board. First of all, a happy new year!

I followed the complete documentation for OpenEMM 2013. There are still some unanswered questions related to SMTP. I paste the related part:
When not using Sendmail you can define a smart mailer via file /home/openemm/conf/smart-relay with the syntax
<username>:<password>@<smart-relay-domainname>
The use of a smart-relay may be helpful for dial-up users to send out mails via their ISP. The name of the smart-relay is
provided by your ISP. In case your ISP's smart-relay does not support TLS, you have to remove the code
smtp.starttls ()
smtp.ehlo ()
in file semu.py in directory /home/openemm/bin/scripts.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate /home/openemm/conf/smart-relay. Moreover by using /home/openemm/bin/scripts/semu.py, I only get a command line without any introduction nor a feedback on my inputs. So would you describe it more further for me, please?

I work on a Debian Squeeze.

Thanks a lot.
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Using SMTP with OpenEMM 2013

Post by maschoff »

You could not locate the file because you have to create it.

With "removing code" we mean opening the file and editing it.
OpenEMM Maintainer
FaBo

Post by FaBo »

Thanks for your answer.

Do I just have to create the file "smart-relay" and ener only the information like:
info@myhost.com:mysecretpassword@smtp.myhost.com

I ask, because it looks a bit weird. In this case, info@myhost.com is the specific SMTP username.
So that's all or do I have to run the semu.py script file with that syntax? If so, that's what I actually did without any result.

It would be great, if you confirm it for me, please.

Thank you very much.
ud

Post by ud »

Hello,

these commands should do all the work, so login as user "openemm" and use these commands (ensure that there is no system wide MTA configured and running):
#
# Stop a possible running OpenEMM
./bin/openemm.sh stop
#
# Enable the usage of semu.py instead of sendmail
./bin/sendmail-disable.sh
#
# Add your smart relay configuration
echo "info@myhost.com:mysecretpassword@smtp.myhost.com" > conf/smart-relay
#
# Restart OpenEMM
./bin/openemm.sh start

Now semu.py should run and use the configured smart relay.

-- ud
FaBo

Post by FaBo »

OK, thanks for that!

I followed your advice, and tried to send some test mails without any success. There is not a single error message after starting the submit process. The user logs in the backend doesn't show any errors either.

I wonder and doesn't know in which log file I have to look to find further details. May I ask you to tell me where I can find these?
The curios part is, I've already installed on the server OTRS (a smart ticket system with mailing features as well) and everything works fine with SMTP.

Do you have one more advice for me, please?

Thanks again!
ud

Post by ud »

The logfiles are found in /home/openemm/var/log and herein you should have a look into the file <timestamp>-<hostname>-semu.log for further information.

-- ud
FaBo

Post by FaBo »

Thanks ud!

I just restarted OpenEMM again and it works now. Don't ask me why. :D