Throttle mail sending by domain ?!

Use this forum for all questions related to the source code of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

jli

Throttle mail sending by domain ?!

Post by jli »

Hello,

I'm currently looking into a solution to slow down the sending of emails on some domain because they don't allow more than X connection per minute, but i don't want to slow the all sending process.

So i looked into sendmail's config and set up different queue groups with different settings.

It's working fine when i use sendmail directly but i then realised that the fact that openemm generates the qf and df files directly overrides completely the queue grouping behavior of sendmail ...

I need some more details on the internal behavior of pickdist and xmlback to figure out how to implement such a feature now. I don't want to break statistics or anything else.

Hope you can help ;-)
John.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

We use throttling in our commercial version EMM and could implement this feature in OpenEMM as well. But can OpenEMM really be to fast for ISPs? Who else would like to see such a feature in OpenEMM?
OpenEMM Maintainer
jli

Post by jli »

The main isp we need to send to allow only 1 connection per sec. I think that sendmail sends far more than 1 msg per second.

Btw, does you commercial feature allow to apply the throtlling only on some domain and not others ? because its not hard to throttle the all queue... It's being able to throttle only on some domains that is causing a problem !

Anyway is there any stuff I should be carefull with ? To avoid breaking the system.

Thanx,
John
KC8

I would love throttling!

Post by KC8 »

I'm raising my hand high for the throttling feature. I am using OpenEMM successfully on windows (no bashing please) and one of two features that I sorely need is the ability to throttle.

For example, we send out blasts to our alumni of which 15,000+ have yahoo addresses. Yahoo drastically slows down our connection rate after 4,000 or 5,000 emails are sent. I would like to ability to send, for example, 300 yahoo emails per hour so that our regular (daily business) emails don't get stopped until they decide to up our connection rate again.

The way I get around this is by generating a yahoo only list and then manually sending a certain amount per day.

So, throttling per domain would be amazing, however I would be very happy with just a general throttling per campaign.

Thanks for listening!

Kevin
mmenke

Post by mmenke »

If we could get throttling per domain (or throttling somehow), that would be really great :) .. I just sent out a mailing and got a lot of errors from some bigger german mail exchangers in the log:

'Maximum parallel connections for your IP-Address reached' and 'Too many concurrent SMTP connections from one IP address; please try again later.'

Actually like 20 of these errors were written to the log within one second :o eek.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Just released OpenEMM 6.2 allows you to define the delivery speed for every mailing separately. If you have problems with a certain provider you could define a separate target group for email addresses of this provider and send them a copy of your mailing for which you define the delivery speed with parametzer blocksize (# of emails per sending block) and stepping (minutes between sending of two blocks).
OpenEMM Maintainer
mmenke

Post by mmenke »

ma wrote:Just released OpenEMM 6.2 allows you to define the delivery speed for every mailing separately. If you have problems with a certain provider you could define a separate target group for email addresses of this provider and send them a copy of your mailing for which you define the delivery speed with parametzer blocksize (# of emails per sending block) and stepping (minutes between sending of two blocks).
That's good news and a great new feature :-)
Thanks!