tracking on different ports

Use this forum to suggest new features, language support, documentation, etc. for OpenEMM's roadmap

Moderator: moderator

elad

tracking on different ports

Post by elad »

As some clients cannot access port 8080, it would be nice to have a possibility to run the link tracking on port 80.
mkalen

Re: tracking on different ports

Post by mkalen »

elad wrote:As some clients cannot access port 8080, it would be nice to have a possibility to run the link tracking on port 80.
You can already do this by adding a web-proxy in front of your application server running OpenEMM and set the redirection domain to the web-server's address.

As an alternative you can change the application server configuration to bind to port 80 instead of 8080. Since 80 is a privileged port (<1024), on Unix/Linux this will require superuser privileges while binding to the port on appserver start, so using a proxy can be safer.

I have successfully tested OpenEMM with an Apache 2.2 proxy on a public server and OpenEMM running on a private IP. Use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse directives in Apache. Do not forget to add "ProxyRequests Off" in your VirtualHost configuration, not to become an open proxy!
elad

Post by elad »

this is not true.

When you create a mailing, and you create trackable links, or choose to measure open rate, even thought you see the links point to http://

when the email is actually sent, the message source always show :8080/

Meaning, OpenEMM assumes that all users can access port 8080, which is not true. Many offices are using firewalls and only allow port 80/443.
mkalen

Sure it works, try it yourself!

Post by mkalen »

elad wrote:
mkalen wrote:I have successfully tested OpenEMM with an Apache 2.2 proxy on a public server and OpenEMM running on a private IP.
this is not true.
OK, if you tell me so. *cough*

Seriously: it is working. Please read on and try for yourself.
elad wrote:when the email is actually sent, the message source always show :8080/
What you do not understand is the notion of "redirection domain" in OpenEMM. When you configure OpenEMM you can specify any redirection domain, regardless of where your installation of OpenEMM is running and regardless if you point links directly to the application server (with changed ports) or to a web proxy/front-end.

Edit: the port number is also included in the redirection domain setting. Leaving out port will use standard 80/443 for http/-s.

When OpenEMM constructs link in the mails sent, it will insert the value of the redirection domain.

I currently have a redirection domain without port specified at all, something like http://my.public.server.

My OpenEMM is running on another server (say otherserver.privatesubnet.local) but the links sent out point to "http://my.public.server".

Apache running at "my.public.server" sends proxy requests to OpenEMM to make the actual tracking calls/image fetching. It works perfectly.
StephenP

Post by StephenP »

If you only have the one server, then you can add an iptables rule to redirect all port 80 traffic to 8080, and that will also do the trick.
elad

Post by elad »

mkalen,

You are right. I did not understand the notion of redirection domain. I apologize.
I couldn't find anything in the manual that mentioned it.

I will reinstall OpenEMM and configure it on a different port.

StephenP, I have iptables configured. it wasn't the problem. Its the tracking links being created when you send emails.

thank you
StephenP

Ahhh.

Post by StephenP »

In that case, there's no need to reinstall.

Just login to mysql and do this:

update company_tbl set rdir_domain="whatever.com" where company_id = 1

or if you're really keen on reinstalling, you can reinstall it and change it in the openemm.sql setup file.

make sure it's working on port 80 before you do this, or it won't work.
mkalen

Post by mkalen »

elad, no worries.

I have just started looking into the Linux version of OpenEMM myself, and found the document called "OpenEMM_AdminGuid.pdf" very handy. The full title is "AGNITAS OpenEMM Install and Administration Guide for OpenEMM 5.5.1" and I found it through another user in the forums. Try searching for it.

I would also recommend the Wiki, e.g. http://www.openemm.org/wiki/Installatio ... uideDebian for installation on Debian.

Since I had previously just been using OpenEMM on Windows I presumed that there was a post-install configuration script like "config.bat" available on Linux. However, as StephenP already wrote - on Linux you just update the rdir_domain column of the company_tbl with SQL.
mmenke

Post by mmenke »

Thanks for the posted infos.
You could also do the redirection on your router/gateway/firewall, that's how we do it.