how to get mailing list subscription through form to work

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

sergio

how to get mailing list subscription through form to work

Post by sergio »

hello, I have a link on a website that will go to a double-opt in form. So far I got all the information to save in the receipient list, except for the mailing list subscription. I have about 8 mailing lists and i want to have a checkbox for each one to subscribe to that list, but I cannot figure out how to code it. The manual was not real clear on how to do this. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced.
marton

Post by marton »

try this:

<!-- mailing list 01 ...
<input type="hidden" name="agnSUBSCRIBE" value="1" ....
<input type="hidden" name="agnMAILINGLIST" value="11" ....

and so on ...
just replace the mailinglist id with your own id... and change the input type to checkbox...

there is a good example @ http://www.openemm.org/newsletter.html? ... il+address
(check the source...)

big shouts, marton
sergio

Post by sergio »

still can't get it to work. other than the receipient's mailing list not being activated, the double-opt in process does not work correctly. The action that the save form uses has double-opt-in option box checked, but after the receipient is saved, it is not showing that it is waiting for user confirmation as the directions show. The action based mailing also does not get sent out....i made sure it was active also. I followed the example in the manual and went through it about 100 times, but still can't get it to work. Any ideas that i could try? I have version 5.0.1 installed. Thanks
maschoff
Site Admin

form code

Post by maschoff »

Could you please post the code of your form here so that we can analyze it? Thanks!
OpenEMM Maintainer
sergio

Post by sergio »

here is what i had, ignor how i wrote the tags, i did this fast and didn't know how to put the code in the post and have it not change. all the tags are closed and in the right syntax.

!--subscribe form-------------------------------------------------------
form action="form.do" method="post"

input type="hidden" name="agnCI" value="1"
input type="hidden" name="agnFN" value="doublesave"
input type="hidden" name="agnUID" value="$agnUID"
input type="hidden" name="agnSUBSCRIBE" value="1"
input type="hidden" name="agnMAILINGLIST" value="1"

Title: select name=GENDER
option value=2 selected no specification /option
option value=1 Mrs /option
option value=0 Mr /option
/select

First name: <input type="text" value="" name="FIRSTNAME"<br><br>

Last name: <input type="text" value="" name="LASTNAME"<br><br>

E-mail address: <input type="text" value="" name="EMAIL"<br><br>

<input type="hidden" value="1" name="MAILTYPE"<br><br>

<input type="submit" value="submit"
</form
<!--end subscribe form-----------------------------------------------------

the doublesave form that is called in the code above has an action called doubleoptsubscription that has the use double-opt in box checked. the directions did not seem clear about the sending email action so i tried putting a 2nd step in the doubleoptsubscription action that had the "send action based mailing" option. I have an action based mailing setup that is activated, but the email never gets sent out.
After that didn't work i took out that 2nd step in the doubleoptsubscription action, then created another action named "doublesendmail", which has the "send action based mailing" option selected. I then put the action at the bottom of the doublesave form to use the doublesendmail action. The action at the top has doublesubscription still.
I hope that sums it up pretty well. Thanks in advanced[/code]
sergio

Post by sergio »

nevermind, i got it working correctly. I'm not even sure what i did, but it's doing exactly what i need it to do. thanks for the help.
maschoff
Site Admin

sample code for subscription web form

Post by maschoff »

Just to give you an example of what the web form code could look like:

Code: Select all

<form name="subform" method="post" action="http://www.openemm.org:8080/form.do"  onSubmit="return check();">
<input type="hidden" name="agnCI" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnFN" value="subscribe">
<input type="hidden" name="agnSUBSCRIBE" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnMAILINGLIST" value="1">

<table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1">

<tr><td>Gender:</td><td><input type="radio" name="gender" value="0" checked /> Mr. <input type="radio" name="GENDER" value="1" /> Mrs. </td></tr>
<tr><td>First Name:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="firstname" maxlength="60" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Last Name:&nbsp;</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="lastname" maxlength="60" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Company:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="company" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Country:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="country" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="EMAIL" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail Type:</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="0" /> Text</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="1" checked /> HTML</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="2" /> Inline HTML*</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="submit" class="inputsubmit" name="submit" value="Subscribe now!" /></td></tr>
</table></form>
This is the code of the OpenEMM newsletter subscription form at http://www.openemm.org/newsletter.html

This form calls the OpenEMM form "subscribe" (agnFN="subscribe) which
  • 1. executes a first action consisting of the step "Subscribe" and box "Use double-opt-in" checked,
    2. shows the success form (see http://www.openemm.org/subscribe.html),
    3. executes a second action consisting of the step "Send mailing" (which sends out an action based mailing asking for confirmation of the subscription process)
OpenEMM Maintainer
mgala

Date fields

Post by mgala »

Has anyone been able to successfully post date fields into the system? I have tried the examples in the manual but can not seem to get it to work. I am trying to capture the birthday of a subscriber. All my other form fields are working.

The manual states that a date field name value should be split into "fieldname_day_date,", etc. I have tried various iterations of this mainly "birthday_day_date" for example. If someone could post a code snippet or any other helpful info. it would be very much appreciated.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

There is a confirmed bug with date fields (see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=848488) which will be fixed with 5.1.1.
OpenEMM Maintainer