Hard bounce based on From: email?

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

jim_frey

Hard bounce based on From: email?

Post by jim_frey »

I've got Amazon SES set up and working with OpenEMM. My problem is that Amazon SES sends some complaint response/feedback loop emails with no text in the body that I can match in the bav.rule file. The only thing it always matches is the email address it is sent from. Is there a way to set a hard bounce in bav.rule where if the sending From: email is complaints@us-west-2.email-abuse.amazonses.com.org the email address in the body of the email is set to hard bounce?

From what I can tell, it seems the hard bounce rule doesn't read the From: line?
OpenEMM Moderator
jim_frey

Re: Hard bounce based on From: email?

Post by jim_frey »

Found out a few things --

First, this line needs to be removed from bav.rule:

Code: Select all

^Action: failed
There are a lot of spam filters that respond with that line, and there's nothing wrong with the email address. Not sure why that's in bav.rule but I'd suggest deleting it.

And secondly, I got the Amazon SES feedback loop complaints to auto remove by adding these lines to the hard area in bav.rule -- although I'm sure all these lines aren't needed, it worked

Code: Select all

^(From|Sender):.*complaints.*
X-Forefront-Antispam-Report.*
X-Microsoft-Antispam.*
Abuse-Type: complaint.*
This is an email abuse report for an email message.*
This is a.*Abuse Report for an email message received.*
^Subject: .*complaint about message from.*
Diagnostic-Code: Amazon SES has suppressed sending to this address.*
OpenEMM Moderator
jim_frey

Re: Hard bounce based on From: email?

Post by jim_frey »

Oh, I should add, it's best to include the email address you're sending to in the actual email (at least the text format) so that when AOL/Comcast/etc send back the bounce it's in the email and can filter it out. Some ISP's remove the email address from the To: line and then you're stuck hunting in log files for the complaint address. Much easier to just include it in the actual email.
OpenEMM Moderator