Unique fields

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

wakizashi

Unique fields

Post by wakizashi »

I have one question, and I would appreciate quick answer if thats even possible or not, so that I know what to do next...

I have list of emails, imported from loyalty program subscribers. Problem is that people were registering both online and offline, thus there was no way of identifying if the email address is already registered or not. Of course, each subscriber has its own unique Loyalty card, but as you might guest, one household used same email address for registering 3 loyalty cards for convenience, and I cannot say I blame them.

Is it possible (and I am asking this for both OpenEMM and EMM) to have defined custom field (such as Loyalty card number) which will act as unique identifier?
11111, John Doe, johndoe@google.com
22222, Jane Doe, johndoe@google.com
33333, Other Doe, johndoe@google.com

I am aware that in that case I would send three times the same newsletter to someone, but being IT listening all kind of "ideas" from non IT staff in my company I have to ask this even though I am aware it doesnt make much sense...

Thanks

EDIT
Nevermind, I saw that I can switch off duplicates when importing from CSV...
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Unique fields

Post by maschoff »

You should think really hard before switching off detection of duplicates! This may lead to all kinds of data quality nightmares ...
OpenEMM Maintainer
wakizashi

Post by wakizashi »

Lol, exactly my thoughts whatsoever... did it in test environment, and immediately replied to the upper level management that it will be nightmare to maintain it that way, and that users will get 5 different emails (since we are separate them by the groups) at the same time which will lead to domain reputation decay, marking messages as spam and what not. Luckily for change they did comply ;)
Stanwood

Post by Stanwood »

I'm so glad I've stumbled upon this thread. I almost did switch off detection of duplicates... It didn't cross my mind what would happen in that case.
Hi!