What softbounce.py does and when?

Use this forum for all questions related to the source code of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

sfantul

What softbounce.py does and when?

Post by sfantul »

I saw softbounce.sh is never triggered.
What i saw is that this script executes softbounce.py .
My question is what this python script do (softbounce.py) and when should i trigger it.
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: What softbounce.py does and when?

Post by maschoff »

If an email address generates lots of softbounces (temporary delivery problems) this is actually an indication that the email address is undeliverable permanently (hardbounce). OpenEMM provides a softbounce scoring to identify those email addresses and converts them to hardbounces. To enable this conversion you should start script softbounce.sh as a wrapper for softbounce.py daily as user openemm. Best way is to create a cron job with

Code: Select all

su - openemm
crontab -e
i
0 3 * * * /home/openemm/bin/softbounce.sh
[Esc]
:x
This crontab entry would start softbounce.sh at 3:00 am in the morning. softbounce.sh analyzes the bounces, writes all softbounces to a special softbounce table (if the bounce generating email address already exists, its bounce count is incremented) and searches all email addresses in this table which generated > 7 softbounces within a time period of > 30 days. If no mail opening or link click was registered within the last 30 days for this address it is flagged as hardbounce. If an operning or click was registered, the address is removed from the softbounce table, i.e. its bounce count is reset.
OpenEMM Maintainer