Hardbounces not in maillog

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

dlaplant

Hardbounces not in maillog

Post by dlaplant »

I installed OpenEMM 5.5.0 on RH EL 4. If I include a bad email address in a mailing, I expect a hard bounce on the bad email address.

OpenEMM statistics do not show the bounce. The bounce_tbl has 0 rows in it. The sendmail log /var/log/maillog has nothing in it.

This is the first sendmail server I have configured. Does anyone have a suggestion why it seems sendmail is not recording hard bounces?

--
David
smcneil

Windows Installation Also Not Reporting Bouncebacks

Post by smcneil »

Hi,

We are completely new to OpenEMM and as such dont really know what we are doing! Its installed on a windows platform and we have managed to send out various test mailings, however after a couple of days fiddling around we can work out / understand how hard bounces should be statistically recorded.

Currently note of the fack email addresses we use reports a bounce. We have looked in the bav.rule file and added strings which we know to be in the bouncing emails but it doesnt register the bounce under the mailing stats.

Also can the bounce filter be configured such that a hard bounce emails an administrator who can check the email address and bouncback reason?

Regards,

Stuart McNeil
dlaplant

Post by dlaplant »

I did a clean install of OpenEMM using the install script for Red Hat.

Bounces are not showing up in the OpenEMM statistics nor the maillog.

I tested sending from the command line using # sendmail bogus@bogus.com <CR> ^D

A bounce shows up in the sender's mailbox. Does this mean hard bounces being handled properly by sendmail? Does this mean the firewall is configured properly for hard bounces? The sender in this case is user@host.domain.com.

OpenEMM is sending from user@domain.com. Would this make a difference? There is a DNS MX record pointing the domain.com to host.domain.com.

Which user's mailbox would bounces sent from OpenEMM show up in?

--
David
dlaplant

Post by dlaplant »

Bounces work with built in SMTP server. I was able get the hard bounces to show up by disabling the use of sendmail for OpenEMM.

To do this -- prior to starting openemm, log in as openemm (#su - openemm) and run /home/openemm/sendmail-disable.sh