do not resend Bounce?

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

Laurent0106

do not resend Bounce?

Post by Laurent0106 »

Hello

First of all thank you so much for your open source OpenEMM, it is really such a powerful tool.

Just one question about resending boucing emails : is it possible to set up that I don't resend email that have bounced ? If I am correct, if there is a soft bounce, the email is resent several times and we hope that after a while it will succeed. Is it possible to say "I try to send the email, and if I receive the bounce information, I just put this adress on the bounce list but I don't resend it" ?

So if I have a 100.000 email list, I know that I will have 100.000 emails sent, and not 200.000 or 300.000 because of retry ?

Thank you very much in advance

Laurent
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: do not resend Bounce?

Post by maschoff »

Trying to send an email address that generated a soft bounce is standard practise of Sendmail which OpenEMM uses as MTA. For more info please see section 6.2 of the OpenEMM Install Guide.
OpenEMM Maintainer
Laurent0106

Post by Laurent0106 »

Hello and thank you for your answer.

Do you think I can write

$sm -q1m -NNEVER -OQueueDirectory=$BASE/var/spool/QUEUE -OpidFile=$run/sendmail-openemmqueue.pid -Otimeout.queuereturn=1m

to say that I want to retry only for one minute ? I guess that would mean that I don't resend :

1 / I send an email at 10:00
2 / I receive a soft bounce message at 10:05 for example
3 / 5min>1 min , so I don't resend ?

Do you think this parameter would be a good choice or is it a mistake from my part ?

Thank you in advance

Regards

Laurent
Laurent0106

Post by Laurent0106 »

Hello

I am thinking that if I am the only one asking this question, maybe I am wrong and resending bounce is not a problem ?

But I can't get why :)
Fatalin

Post by Fatalin »

Hi Laurent0106,

Although your question is somewhat older, other users may have a similar question.

Reducing the life-time of a mail in the queue to 1 minute is a problem for grey-listing processing.

Grey-listing means that a receiving mail-server tells your OpenEMM something like
"I don't know you and I don't want your mail. But I give you a chance to try again in 5 minutes"
OpenEMM will then resend the mail until it is accepted by the mail-server. Since the standard grey-listing time is 5 minutes (meaning your OpenEMM should try again in 5 minutes), setting the life-time to 1 minute prevents you from successfully proceeding grey-listings thus drastically diminishing your mailings success.

Hope this explains it well enough.

Best Regards
Markus
Günstige Software gibt es bei http://www.Software-Butler.de
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Our experience: For grey-listing you should not go below 15 minutes.
OpenEMM Maintainer
imikanwar

Post by imikanwar »

Hm, just checked the GUI and each change to forwarding bounce filters was written within a maximum of three minutes to file bav.conf. So, I wonder what went wrong with your installation. Did you use the frontend to create forwarding bounce filters?