bav errors in maillog

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

simcur

bav errors in maillog

Post by simcur »

Hello,

I've recently installed OpenEMM 6.0 on an Ubuntu server with sendmail. Things seem to be running smoothly except for two problems.

Our last test of a thousand mailings yesterday seemed to have generated and recorded bounces but I have also been noticing a constant stream of the following messages in maillog.
Dec 10 14:43:47 news sendmail[5428]: nBAJhlO1005428: Milter (bav): local socket name /home/openemm/var/run/openemm/bav.sock unsafe
Dec 10 14:43:47 news sendmail[5428]: nBAJhlO1005428: Milter (bav): to error state
Dec 10 14:43:47 news sendmail[5428]: nBAJhlO1005428: Milter: initialization failed, temp failing commands
They seem to come in every 20 seconds or so (I guess, as other bounces are coming in). Considering that the bounce rate is lower than we'd expect, does this mean that bounces are not getting processed (or that not all of them are getting processed)?

In addition, I've noticed that restarting openemm doesn't seem to recreate bav.sock in /home/openemm/var/run . I essentially have to restart the server in order to see the socket again.

Also, every time sendmail starts it throws:
Starting sendmails: listener WARNING: Xbav: local socket name /home/openemm/var/run/openemm/bav.sock missing
Something seems to be off about bav.sock but since I can't get more detailed logs. Permissions on bav.sock are
srwxr-xr-x 1 openemm openemm 0 2009-12-10 14:24 bav.sock
Is there anything I could do to get more info about the problem or anything I could do to make sendmail happy?

Thanks!
simcur

ok, I figured out how to solve the unsafe socket problem

Post by simcur »

I had the wrong path in sendmail.mc to the socket! An extra openemm in the path. Now it's fixed. What a dumb mistake.

But I still can't get openemm restart to recreate a bav.sock in /home/openemm/var/run/bav.sock . Basically, if I have to shutdown openemm process I restart the machine in order for a socket to get recreated.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

The socket is generated by /home/openemm/bin/bav. Each time OpenEMM is started, sendmail is started as well and should recognize the socket. Could it be that your Ubuntu installation has AppArmour enabled? If so, please retry with AppArmour disabled.
OpenEMM Maintainer