Bounce Mangement Problem

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

mani_jeee

Bounce Mangement Problem

Post by mani_jeee »

Hi.
I am Another newb to Bounce Managment.
having issue with dealyed bounces. I followed the manual as per directed.

Created an alias for my sender address info@mydomain.com alias:ext_5@mydomain.com

following is the log findings

Aug 20 10:25:18 servername sendmail[9545]: n7KEPHKV009545: Milter add: header: X-AGNMailloop: from=<mani_jeee@xxx.com>,rid=5,cid=1,fwd=me@forwardingdomain.com,to=<info@domain.com>
Aug 20 10:25:18 servername sendmail[9545]: n7KEPHKV009545: Milter add: header: X-AGNLoop: set
Aug 20 10:25:18 servername sendmail[9547]: n7KEPHKV009545: to=ext_5@domain.com, ctladdr=<info@domain.com> (8/0), delay=00:00:01, mailer=local, pri=124326, dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown

Any help please..
thank you!

mani_jeee
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

You made your sample too anonymous to offer solid help. Our only hunch: "domain.com" is interpreted as local hostname and served directly by Sendmail (which fails because the users do not exist).
OpenEMM Maintainer
cdillardhsp

Re: Bounce Mangement Problem

Post by cdillardhsp »

I've got a similar issue. I hope that someone can help because so far bounce management is the only issue remaining before we can use OpenEMM. We're running the latest 6.2 release of OpenEMM.

DNS Information
Domain: mydomain.com
A Record: mailer1.mydomain.com
A Record: mailer.mydomain.com
Forward Zone: lists.mydomain.com
A Record resolves to our OpenEMM host
MX 10 for lists.mydomain.com is mailer1.mydomain.com
mailer1.mydomain.com is a A record

Corporate Mail Server: Forwards mail for irulist@mydomain.com to mailer1.mydomain.com

bav.conf-local:
irulist@mydomain.com alias:ext_1@mailer1.mydomain.com
# We've tried ext_1@lists.mydomain.com as well (we stop/start OpenEMM after changes like this)

If we send mail to irulist@mydomain.com or ext_1@mailer1.mydomain.com we get "User Unknown" bounces.

We have a bounce filter setup according to the docs but still we get user unknown in the Sendmail logs on our OpenEMM server
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Please post

- the FQDN of the server OpenEMM is running on
- any entries in /etc/mail/relay-domains
- any entries in /etc/mail/mailertable
OpenEMM Maintainer
cdillardhsp

Post by cdillardhsp »

[root@mailer mail]# cat mailertable
mailer.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
lists.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
mailer1.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc

[root@mailer mail]# cat relay-domains
mailer.mydomain.com
lists.mydomain.com
mailer1.mydomain.com
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

This configuration will not work. Please have a look at the OpenEMM Install Guide:

1. Section 8.2 B states that the first part of file bav.conf-local must contain the sender email address with the sender hostname (which must not be the host name of your server).

2. Section 9.1/9.2 states that file relay-domains must include the domain name of your sender hostname (but it is'nt). This makes sure that bounces are relayed to the bounce management.

Possible solution: Change your sender domain to one of the three FQDNs listed in file relay-domains and change file bav.conf-local accordingly.
OpenEMM Maintainer
cdillardhsp

Post by cdillardhsp »

I think what you're saying is that we either need to add mydomain.com to the list of relay-domains, or, we need to modify bav.conf-local so that it looks like the following line and then when sending the campaign mails we would have to send as irulist@lists.mydomain.com. Am I understanding correctly?

bav.conf-local:
irulist@lists.mydomain.com alias:ext_1@lists.mydomain.com

... where lists.mydomain.com is an A record but not the actual hostname (/etc/hosts) of our OpenEMM server.

We've tried including mydomain.com in the relay-domains file but that results in being unable to send mail to recipients on our corporate mail system who's email addresses are user@mydomain.com. Those mails just sit in the queue on the OpenEMM server.
cdillardhsp

Post by cdillardhsp »

I tried this and we still get User Unknown errors.

Here's the new configuration we just tried.

Real Hostname: mailer.mydomain.com
A Record: mailer1.mydomain.com
A Record: lists.mydomain.com
MX Record: lists.mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX 10 mailer1.mydomain.com

Bounce Filter Created:
Set the 'forward incoming emails' address to ext_1@lists.mydomain.com
Set the Sender address to: iru@lists.mydomain.com
Saved the Bounce Filter and yet it shows up as ext_1@mailer.mydomain.com (perhaps this is a real problem?)

File conf/bav/bav.conf-local contains the following lines:
iru@lists.mydomain.com alias:ext_1@lists.mydomain.com
iru@lists.mydomain.com alias:ext_3@lists.mydomain.com

File /etc/mail/relay-domains contains:
mailer.mydomain.com
lists.mydomain.com
mailer1.mydomain.com

File /etc/mail/mailertable contains:
mailer.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
lists.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
mailer1.mydomain.com procmail:/home/openemm/conf/bav/bav.rc
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

The second part of file bav.conf-local has to contain the email address of the bounce filter you set up with OpenEMM.
OpenEMM Maintainer
cdillardhsp

Post by cdillardhsp »

Nah, that doesn't work.

Sorry, but this is pretty frustrating.

In the Bounce-Filter settings there are two addresses that can be entered. The first is the "Forward incoming mails" address which we have just set to ext_3@mydomain.com . The second is the Autoresponder > "Sender Address" which we're not sure what to enter in at this point but we presume that we could use whatever we want here. For argument's sake, we'll state that we've entered iru@mydomain.com in this field.

In the bav.conf-local file we have
iru@mydomain.com alias:ext_3@mydomain.com

What's incorrect about this configuration?
We restart OpenEMM each time we make a change to bav.conf-local. Do we also need to restart Sendmail? Seems that OpenEMM spawns it's own Sendmail processes so we didn't think we needed to restart the Sendmail daemon.
Why does the Bounce-Filter set the email address as ext_N@mailer.mydomain.com instead of ext_N@lists.mydomain.com?

The way I understand the mail flow for bounces is this. We send a newsletter each month as iru@mydomain.com and in the OpenEMM Mailing we set the reply-to address as iru@lists.mydomain.com. Bounces and recipient replies will thus go to iru@lists.mydomain.com which is an alias for ext_N@mydomain.com (or as we'd like it, ext_3@lists.mydomain.com, but that value doesn't get set when saving a Bounce-Filter). Our mail gateway and corporate mail server know to send mail to our OpenEMM server for delivery when mail is addressed to any of the following addresses & domains: The OpenEMM server should accept mail for iru@lists.mydomain.com and know that it should be "picked up" and processed. Instead it complains with a "User Unknown" error and bounces the email back to the sender.

How come there isn't a way to have it fetch bounces from a mailbox on our corporate server using POP or IMAP and process bounces anyway?
sunnyday5667

Post by sunnyday5667 »

How can I apply this info into the practice. I didn't get what you are talking about. CAN anyone expalin me?