User Unknown... sendmail config woes

Use this forum for all questions related to bounce management of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

elliotcater

User Unknown... sendmail config woes

Post by elliotcater »

Hi,

I'm running openemm 5.5.1 on CentOS 5.2. I followed the install guide and have set up my mx/domains correctly etc...

I'm having a problem with aliases not being recognized. If I try to test the bounce filters by sending an email locally to ext_1@emarketing.mydomain.com it bounces straight back to my email client. If I send an email to root@emarketing.mydomain.com it goes straight into root's mailbox.

I have added:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`bav', `S=unix:/home/openemm/var/run/bav.sock, F=T')dnl
To the end of sendmail.mc and configured relay-domains and mailertable.

I ran "make" and restarted sendmail.

Has anybody got any bright ideas about what could be the problem, the software is great and am so close to getting it working!

Many thanks

Elliot
tomgohj

Post by tomgohj »

Having the same problem. it seems the filter is not working properly.

Mind sharing how you solved this issue.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

This looks like a configuration error. Have you set up the mailloop like described in the OpenEMM Install Guide?

Furthermore, the name of your server and the sender domain must not be the same.

For a test enter

Code: Select all

telnet localhost smtp
If sendmail reports back the sender domain, something is wrong. Best would be to walk through the OpenEMM Install Guide again step by step.

BTW, you can check the name of your server in /etc/hosts and its synonyms in etc/mail/local-host-names.
OpenEMM Maintainer
tomgohj

Post by tomgohj »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, its been a long few weeks.

Just to give you background:
Server Name: newssrv
fqdn: newssrv.domain.com
MX: news.domain.com -> newssrv.domain.com

Receiving emails is working to news.domain.com as I can see the entries in the log file.

To answer your question:

Mailloop: I have set news.domain.com in company_tbl

Telnet: works for localhost and newssrv.domain.com

/etc/host: newssrv

/etc/mail/local-host-names:
localhost
newssrv.domain.com

I have sinced reinstalled from ubuntu to debian and at last resort will try centos.

So currently I can see that sendmail is sending to a fake email called bounce@recipient.com and is not a real email box. I can see in the logs

Nov 17 20:01:53 newssrv sendmail[5506]: 1580T0c0300000001: to=<bounce@recipient.com>, delay=00:00:53, xdelay=00:00:06, mailer=esmtp, pri=0, relay=mx.adeptiva.com. [120.50.46.231], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown

Since sendmail is registering that the user as "User unknown", it should register this as a bounce in OpenEMM Statistics. This is somewhat different from my original problem.

One of my concerns is that that I was getting this error before:

unable to write pid to /home/openemm/var/run/sendmail-mqueue-client.pid: Permission denied

It was recommended to make amendments to bin/mailer.sh and to remove $BASE, which works

http://www.openemm.org/forums/ftopic536.html

By doing so I am not sure what the effects are. I tried changing owners and group memberships but that did not help

So it seems my bounces are not getting directed to the correct place.

Appreciate you help so far. I will go through more of the forum to see if I can find the answer. If I get this working, I will do a proper howto for Lenny and Ubuntu.
tomgohj

Post by tomgohj »

Solved it.

Read a few posts down. Bounce is not registered in when sending though test recipients.

When I complete my internal documentation I will upload a copy to the wiki.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

That's good news!
OpenEMM Maintainer