How does "Check for duplicate" supposed to work?

Use this forum to report bugs and to check for bugfixes and new releases of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

mahebha26

How does "Check for duplicate" supposed to work?

Post by mahebha26 »

I'm using 5.4.0. I have turned on the "Check for duplicate records", to the form action, according to the documentation in
http://www.openemm.org/wiki/11_Forms_-_ ... new_action

When the user subscribes with an existing key-column (ex: email) value, it gets the existing user and updates its details with the data from the submitted form (which is meant for the new user).

I do not want to loose the data of an existing user, when someone tries to subscribe with an exiting user's email. It should throw an Error, like "Email is already registered."

Thank you.

Regards
Balaji
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

If you want to avoid the overwriting of existing data you have to switch off the check for duplicates. But in this case you will end up with two database entries with identical e-mail addresses.

There is a second solution via a script action. We are working on a documentation of this feature.
OpenEMM Maintainer
mahebha26

Post by mahebha26 »

Thanks for the reply.

I did find out that, the "check for duplicates" has to be turned-off, to prevent loosing data. I have mentioned this in another post http://www.openemm.org/forums/ftopic727.html

I'm looking forward to your "Script" solution.
mahebha26

Post by mahebha26 »

Dear Maschoff (Site Admin)

Could you please point-me to the documentation on "Script Action" solution, to avoid duplicates? We have planned to roll-out the new newsletter solution with OpenEMM, in 2 weeks and would like to sort this bug, very soon.

There are more than 800,000 subscribers in our current system and would like to migrate them to OpenEMM and use it for new subscriptions. We do not want to have duplicates or over-write existing user, as it is.

Hope to hear from you soon. We appreciate your efforts in resolving this bug (issue).

Thank you.

Regards
Balaji
maschoff
Site Admin

documentation

Post by maschoff »

The documentation of the script action feature is now available:

http://www.openemm.org/fileadmin/docs/S ... tation.pdf

Have fun!
OpenEMM Maintainer
mahebha26

Post by mahebha26 »

Thanks for the link.

The document does not cover Creating & Updating Recipients. Also there is no sample, in the wiki, to demonstrate the usage of "Script Actions" in Actions.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

You can find one sample in this forum and one in the user manual (just search for "#"). As soon as we find the time we will create some more samples.
OpenEMM Maintainer
Chupa

Post by Chupa »

I think preventing multiple registrations with unique email addresses is an essential feature of professionel email marketing software and should be built in right out of the box. Unbelieveble that anybody can overwirte anyones personal data just by using the same address.

Did anyone find out how to make openeem check if an address has already been registered and prompt a warning on the screen?
valead

Post by valead »

ma wrote:You can find one sample in this forum and one in the user manual (just search for "#"). As soon as we find the time we will create some more samples.
Hi, a link would be appreciated. Trying to figure out how to do it with scripts, but have problems iterating.