Salutations and GENDER

Use this forum to suggest new features, language support, documentation, etc. for OpenEMM's roadmap

Moderator: moderator

lord_alan

Salutations and GENDER

Post by lord_alan »

Hi,

I think that the Salutations settings are not very intuitive and I don't really see why they should be linked to gender.

For example, here in the UK we typically would use one the following forms of salutation.

Mr. (Male)
Mrs. (Married Female)
Miss. (Unmarried Female)
Ms. (Female)
Dr. (Doctor)
Prof. (Professor)
(No salutation is also valid)

The last three forms of salutation in my list are gender agnostic. I'm sure there are others too.

I have tried inserting some additional Salutations into the default database but these are not then displayed. I guess because the UI is hardcoded to display only Gender IDs 0,1,2. It is also not possible to have more than one salutation for each Gender.

My personal opinion here, is that it would make far more sense to have a single table with all the salutations needed (as many as you wish) and not related to any particular gender, and then a separate record for the user's gender.

What do others think?

Cheers

Alan
lord_alan

Post by lord_alan »

Bump!
tyuhas

Post by tyuhas »

I think maybe gender salutation issues are only a major obstacle in countries with English as the primary language!

We ran into this and wound up creating a profile field to save salutation data. In our mailings we use [agnDB column=".."] [agnLASTNAME] to get our Mr/Mrs/Ms So-and-so

If anyone has a better solution, I'm all for hearing it.
lord_alan

Post by lord_alan »

Hi tyuhas,

you might be right there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think about creating a profile field - that should work.

Cheers

Alan