Validating bounce via pop3 instead of sendmail log

Use this forum to suggest new features, language support, documentation, etc. for OpenEMM's roadmap

Moderator: moderator

mathd

Validating bounce via pop3 instead of sendmail log

Post by mathd »

I am programming module to check for hard and soft bounce for our OpenEmm via POP3. That way, I don’t depend on parsing the sendmail logs and the bounce email can be send to any normal email account.

I think the main advantage of this module would be that OpenEmm will not depend on another program (sendmail) an should be easier to install on any OS that support java (including windows)

If people are interested with this module, I could send a patch to include it in OpenEmm.
ud

Post by ud »

Thank you for this interesting approach. But this covers only one part of the bounce management, the interpreting of the returned mails. For bounces during the sending process, you still have to parse the sendmail log file.

But if you want to avoid the usage of sendmail filter handling in this part and/or you want to use the hostname for a sender address (and not a subdomain) it should be possible to setup a separate account for the sender and use the bav.rc as a template for the .procmailrc for this user. Some more modification may be necessary to realize a working solution.

The main disadvantage, you have to do some more work outside the OpenEMM interface if you add a new bounce address.

-- ud