Update CKeditor to newest version

Use this forum to suggest new features, language support, documentation, etc. for OpenEMM's roadmap

Moderator: moderator

posbis

Update CKeditor to newest version

Post by posbis »

Please update OpenEMM 2012 with CKeditor 3.6.3 (newest version) and drop the existing fckeditor (2.6.....).

CKeditor 3.6.3 seems to have much more features and the licensing model seems to work as well
with OpenSource projects.

Regards,
Oliver
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Update CKeditor to newest version

Post by maschoff »

Which features of CKEditor 3.x do you miss in the FCKEditor version used by OpenEMM?
OpenEMM Maintainer
posbis

Post by posbis »

It is not only about features, but to name some of them:

- Better Font selection (Style, Format, Type-Face , ...)
- Printing Support
- Switching from HTML to HTML-Code in the editor itself
- For sure a lot of bugs fixed

And it looks much more stylish (skins) than the current editor which somehow seems not to much the new style of the whole OpenEMM application anymore.

The current FCKEditor has lots of problems with Internet Explorer 9. It is really tricky to find the correct compatibility mode so some dialogs show correctly.

As an example inserting a hyperlink simply shows me a brownish dialog with the word "Link" in the upper left corner and a "Cancel" button in the lower right corner.
All the other fields are missing and I can't close the dialog but must press BACK button.
(Browser Mode: IE9 / Document Mode: IE9 Standards)

If I switch to Browser Mode: IE9 / Document Mode: IE8 Standards it works. The fields are display but the OK Button does not close the dialog. You must press "Cancel" to leave the link dialog. OK, the links has been created but leaving a dialog using the "Cancel" button instead of "OK" is a strange thing.

The "Paste from Word" dialog seems to have no Input-Cursor. You first must click to the upper left part of the white text input field to get a blinking cursor and then you can paste the content from clipboard (This phenomenon is new since OpenEMM 2011. Was working in 6.2).

There are a lot of these small problems around the FCKEditor. Some existed in the 6.x releases some are new to 2011. Basically the FCKEditor seems to have a lot problems with IE9 in Browser Mode: IE9 / Document Mode: IE9 Standards. Since I upgraded my system from 6.2 I am always switching compatibility modes forward and backward to get my mailings done. In 6.2 it was not that worse but FCKEditor had its problems too.

So that is why I am thinking upgrading to the newest version would be a good thing.

Unfortunately it seems that you cannot upload images in this board otherwise I would have postet some pictures to proof the problems.

Regards
Oliver
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

OK, you convinced me. :-)
OpenEMM Maintainer
janemcready

Post by janemcready »

Thanks for sharing the info about CKeditor 3.6.3. I have replaced CKeditor 3.6.3 instead of fckeditor and seems like this is more advantage than the fckeditor as you stated above. Font selection and printing features are the two which I also personally felt good with CKeditor when compared with fckeditor.
tsc

Post by tsc »

maschoff wrote:OK, you convinced me. :-)

Is there anything new on this topic? It has been nearly two years since your post and OpenEMM is still using an editor, which was discontinued in 2010.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

CK editor is included in OpenEMM 2014. First milestone will be published within the next days.
OpenEMM Maintainer
arooj

Post by arooj »

Be great to have an integrated SMS engine to use mailing lists and SMS mailings from the same application.
AROOJ