Sending a huge batch takes soo long!!

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

henry_shadowjet

Sending a huge batch takes soo long!!

Post by henry_shadowjet »

Hi there,

I hope I'm not double posting, since I can't really find the same topic in here. I've successfully installed OpenEMM and I've been using and testing it for a while, a pass with flying colours.

But for some reason, now when I tried to use it to import a huge list of import, it generates a memory error message. I tried to import 360K mails, by the way. So I separated it into 8 separate imports, and it finally managed it, with some memory errors as well, but at least it completed the task.

Now, with the sending, I tried generating e-mails for 49993 e-mails, and there were 49993 e-mails generated, but since I left it last night until now there is only 25000 e-mails sent. I'm not sure why it is taking this long. :S

The other day I tried testing with 18K users, it completed within 30 minutes, so that was reasonably fine! Good job!! I'm just having this problem now, unfortunately with a larger number.

Is there a way to counter this issue? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!! ><
henry_shadowjet

Sorry I have not been specific enough yesterday... I get a memory error as in this particular message:

500 Servlet Exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

That happens when I was trying to import a huge list of e-mail addresses from a CSV file. I was able to import it with 50K CSV files, and I had to split it into 8 separate CSVs.

But I guess the main issue lies more towards the fact that mailing takes very long to send now, I'm not too sure why. It could be the same problem, memory problem.

I noticed that there is a way to start Java with more memory such as using parameter -Xmx256m for example. Is there a way to do this with OpenEMM?

I have 512MB amount of memory installed on the unit. I'm not sure if that is enough, but adding more costs an arm and a leg - it's those damn hosting companies :( . So yeah, I want to make sure if adding more memory will resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone! I appreciate the great work on OpenEMM!! ^^
henry_shadowjet

I'm sorry if I had not been very specific earlier, I had OpenEMM 5.5.0 on a Debian server. It has 512 MB RAM and it runs beautifully until I tried to do a large amount of mailing, which is what was required by the client (unfortunately - it's not my cup of tea either ^^).

The problem is not just the mailing, it seems, but viewing the recipient's list by going "Recipient" and "Overview" seems to take a very long time and generate errors afterwards.

Anyhow, I have just added the following line to the "start" function of OpenEMM.sh:
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx256m -Xms256m -Xss256k"

We'll see how this goes. I hope it's just a virtual memory problem.

Any comments? Leads? or anything? Will be much appreciated ^^
henry_shadowjet

I tried the above and now I don't get any error message, but when I tried to view the Recipient's list, I had to wait for sooo long until it finally gave up (times out).

Every other part of OpenEMM still works flawlessly.

Which brings me to this question: is there vritually any "LIMIT" as to the amount of users OpenEMM can handle? If there is, please let me know so I'm not beating around the bush for nothing ^^

Again, thanks a lot for your time and attention.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

We hope to improve the performance with a new load mechanism in release 5.5.1. The highest number of users I know of is about 800,000. But there is no hard limit.
OpenEMM Maintainer
henry_shadowjet

Hi ma,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Hmm, I have about 300K clients in there at the moment, but why is it timing out then? Mmmm... What are the specs of the computer that you know to run 800K clients?

I am currently renting a server on a hosting facility, and I thought the specs I currently got was enough. As I outlined earlier, the server is currently running on 512MB RAM (I can get more specifics if you need it). If I want more, I'd have to pay a lot more per month (weird renting/payment system they got - I would thought it would be a one-off payment :P)

Anyhow, the bottom line is I would like your opinion whether I need to put in more RAM, I didn't try this yet because it costs quite a bit over time - though I don't mind if I have to.

Your input is much appreciated ^^.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

1 GByte should be minimum for lists >100k. But please wait a few days for release 5.5.1. (The 800k example I know of runs on 5.3.2 which used memory differently.)
OpenEMM Maintainer
henry_shadowjet

Hi again, ma!

Thanks a lot for your input! I guess you're right, I should upgrade that RAM to at least 1GB.

I'm looking forward to version 5.5.1 as you have suggested ^^. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks a lot again.
henry_shadowjet

Hi again Ma,

Thanks a lot for all your help so far. I have installed OpenEMM 5.5.1 with much enthusiasm, and so far it works great! THANKS! :D

By the way, did you set a limit on the amount of users it can handle now? Because when I tried to import more contacts to the database, on top of the 300K users that was already in there, I got an error saying that "the maximum amount of users has been reached" or something similar to that.

It's not a big deal though, I just cleaned up the database and started from scratch and there's no more problems now. The amount of users are not as much anymore because most of them failed anyway.

OpenEMM is performing so much faster, it's soo cool! Just out of curiosity, please tell me if you have set a hard limit on the amount of records/recipients OpenEMM can handle.

Thanks again! ^^
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

There is no hard limit. But you can set the maximum number of recipients OpenEMM will handle in file emm.properties with the property recipient.maxRows (set to 200,000 by default).
Last edited by maschoff on Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenEMM Maintainer
henry_shadowjet

Wow! That's great! Thanks a lot, ma! You're a lifesaver!