Unsubscribe problem....

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

PSlator

Unsubscribe problem....

Post by PSlator »

I'm having a problem getting unsubscribe to work.
I've followed the manual, but whenever I select the unsubscribe button from my query form, it displays the failure message from the confirmation form.

Can anybody post copies of their forms and actions where they have this working?
Even better, if anybody has this working where a user may be subscribed to several mailing lists.

I'm using version 5.3....
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

You have to include the Unsubscribe link in your e-mail to get it interpreted correctly by the redirect service of OpenEMM, it does not work on a webpage!
OpenEMM Maintainer
PSlator

Unsubscribe..

Post by PSlator »

Yep, I've done that, and included the link in the email.

It displays the page 'do you want to unsubscribe', and I also have it displaying the user's details to confirm. Then, when I click on the unsubscribe button, it goes straight to the on-error section of the next form.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

It would be helpful to post the HTML code of the webpage and the OpenEMM form here.
OpenEMM Maintainer
PSlator

Code from Form

Post by PSlator »

Here's the code from the Unsubscribe Query form.

<form action="form.do" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="agnCI" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnFN" value="BTOptOutConfirm">
<input type="hidden" name="agnUID" value="/agnUID">

<input type="hidden" name="agnSUBSCRIBE" >
<input type="hidden" name="agnMAILINGLIST" value="5">

<table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1">

<tr><td>First Name:</td><td>"$customerData.firstname"</td></tr>
<tr><td>Last Name:&nbsp;</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="lastname" maxlength="60" value="$customerData.lastname" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Company:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="company" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="EMAIL" maxlength="80" value="$customerData.email" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail Type:</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="0" /> Text</td></tr>
</table>
<BR><BR>

Do you really want to unsubscribe?<br>
<input type="reset" value="Cancel">
<input type="submit" value="Unsubscribe">
</form>

This calls the form BTOptOutConfirm, who's only action is Unsubscribe...
That form has 'OK That's worked' as the sucess form, or 'OK, That's failed as the failure form'...and it always displays the failure form. :(
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Please replace "/agnUID" with "$agnUID" and have a look at page 175 to 178 in the user manual for more info.
OpenEMM Maintainer
PSlator

Post by PSlator »

ma wrote:Please replace "/agnUID" with "$agnUID" and have a look at page 175 to 178 in the user manual for more info.
I've followed that...When I click on the link to the form on my mailing, it displays the correct user details, but when I click on unsubscribe, it says it displays the Error-Form

Unfortunately the manual isn't very clear about how to unsubscribe from one list when there are multiple mailing lists.
maschoff
Site Admin

fix

Post by maschoff »

First of all: You are right, the chapter 11 in the OpenEMM manual is difficult to understand since code samples and explanations do not match (copy&paste error). We will revise the manual before long.

Now to your problem:

Please add in the agnSUBSCRIBE tag value="0". This defines a negative subscription, also known as unsubscription. Does it work now?
OpenEMM Maintainer
patm

Post by patm »

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my unsubscribe link and it sounds similar to this thread. When I click on the unsubscribe link I am taken to the page with cancel and unsubscribe. However when I click on unsubscribe I get taken to the failed page. If I click on the cancel button nothing happens. So I can't seem to be able to unsubscribe.

I'm using this to opt out
You can unsubscribe from promotional emails <a href="http://dd.intervault.co.uk/form.do?agnC ... agn#AGNUID##">
here</a>

I'm stuck. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Pat.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Please replace #AGNUID## with ##AGNUID##.
OpenEMM Maintainer
patm

Post by patm »

Hi ma,

Thanks for the swift reply. I've made your change but it still isn't working. When I click through the the unsubscribe link (http://dd.intervault.co.uk/form.do?agnC ... 27vdud8hbk)

I am faced with unsubscribe and cancel. Now the cancel button does nothing however the unsubscribe button can work in two ways. If I have the action Unsubscribe set on the form OptOutConfirm then I get the failed to unsubscribe but if the action is turned off then I get the successful message. However I don't actually unsubscribe as the action is off!

So I guess I am going the right page now but the error is somewhere in the unsubscribe action. I have noticed that the screenshot fig 11.16 on page 195 has an action Load recipient data. I am not doing this, I'll try that but if you can think of anything please let me know.

Amend. I tried putting the action to load user data in and I now go straight to the error error message for the first form.

Thanks again

Pat.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Maybe it helps you to check the unsubscribe process of the OpenEMM newsletter at openemm.org.

1. The unsubcribe link in the mailing:
http://www.openemm.org:8080/form.do?agn ... D=##AGNUID##

2. The components of the unsubscribe form:

Action: "Unsubscription Load Profile Data" (explained below)

Success form:

Code: Select all

<html><head><title></title>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://www.openemm.org/unsubscribe.html?agnUID=$!agnUID">
</head></html>
Error form:

<html><head><title></title>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://www.openemm.org/unsubscribe_error.html">
</head></html>

3. Action "Unsubscription Load Profile Data":
consists only of one step: "Load recipient data"

4. Source of unsubscribe.html:

<script type="text/javascript">
  uid = location.search;
  uid = unescape(uid.substring(8)); 
</script>

<form name="unsubform" action="http://www.openemm.org:8080/form.do" method="post" onSubmit="document.getElementById('param').value = uid;">
<input type="hidden" name="agnCI" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnFN" value="unsubconfirm">
<input type="hidden" name="agnUID" id="param" value=test>
<input type="submit" class="inputsubmit" value="Unsubscribe">
</form>

Hope this helps!
OpenEMM Maintainer
patm

Post by patm »

Hi ma,

That did the trick! Thank you very much.

In case anyone else follows this thread the agnFN value in the last post does not match the one I was using further up the thread. You will have to change either the form name or the value in unsubscribe.html so they match. This is covered in the manual but just be careful as you can't copy and paste.

Thanks again. First rate support.

Pat.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Thank you! :-)
OpenEMM Maintainer
PSlator

Sucess

Post by PSlator »

I have finally managed to get the unsubscribe bit to work.

It was a missing "

Thanks for you help with this. I've learned a lot about the system while trying to debug!!!

Phil