Blacklist ignored; how to send to all mailing lists

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

oasis

Blacklist ignored; how to send to all mailing lists

Post by oasis »

First off, thanks for creating OpenEMM! It's without a doubt the most advanced open-source email marketing platform out there.

I've been using the Virtual Machine edition of OpenEMM 2013, and it's been mostly great. I have a few questions:

1. I have about 1000 addresses in my blacklist, and the blacklist function normally works. The last time, however, it seemed to totally ignore the blacklist and generate and send to everyone in the mailing list leading to thousands of bounced emails :( . What could have caused this? I don't remember changing any settings.

2. I have about 7 different mailing lists, based on the source of their addresses, so I can target doctors, accountants etc. separately. Whenever I want to send an email to ALL recipients, I have to create a mailing for each list, so I end up creating 7 mailings just for one campaign. Is there anyway to send a mailing all my lists at once? Or should I create one giant list, with different "target groups"?

3. Is there any way to control the sending rate per domain?

Thanks again for such a fantastic program. The business I generate from email marketing is what's paying for my college tuition and living expenses, so without OpenEMM I couldnt afford to go to school. I really appreciate all you guys do for us! :D
Anton

Re: Blacklist ignored; how to send to all mailing lists

Post by Anton »

1. I have about 1000 addresses in my blacklist, and the blacklist function normally works. The last time, however, it seemed to totally ignore the blacklist and generate and send to everyone in the mailing list leading to thousands of bounced emails :( . What could have caused this? I don't remember changing any settings.
This is scary - please post back if you find out what happened here!
2. I have about 7 different mailing lists, based on the source of their addresses, so I can target doctors, accountants etc. separately. Whenever I want to send an email to ALL recipients, I have to create a mailing for each list, so I end up creating 7 mailings just for one campaign. Is there anyway to send a mailing all my lists at once? Or should I create one giant list, with different "target groups"?
Your suggestion should definitely work but as recipients can below to multiple mailing lists, is there any reason you couldn't have all recipients belong to a master list and also to their child lists?
3. Is there any way to control the sending rate per domain?
This is MUCH better done at the SMTP level (along with dynamic back-off, et al.), though I'd wager that sendmail doesn't do this by default so you'll probably need an add-on. Even rate-limiting raw volumes is better done at the SMTP level, though the extra precision you get by doing it there is usually not warranted for the extra hassle it will almost certainly involve.