Effect of modifying CM template after mailing

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

hzujmccescsl

Effect of modifying CM template after mailing

Post by hzujmccescsl »

Scenario: CM template -> mailing -> Normal (final) send -> modify CM template -> mailing ==> embedded trackable links appear to be broken when received mailing links are selected. Note that all mailings are Archived.

Four questions:

1) what is the roadmap/workflow for CM template, mailing, and trackable links association (what points to what and what happens when one or more of the "whats" change (either in content or name)?

2) how to interpret/decipher the trackable link "query string" (uid value) and is this value stored somewhere?

3) what all happens when a CM template is modified after a Normal (final) sending; the name is not changed, but it is saved and unassigned from its mailing, and then re-assigned to the same mailing (eg; edit, modify, save, unassign, save, re-assign, save)?

4) what is the affect of: CM template -> mailing -> Normal (final) send -> unassign template ?
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Effect of modifying CM template after mailing

Post by maschoff »

Have you adjusted properties in cms.properties?

1) CM based mailings are converted to "classic" mailings before sending.

2) Don't know what you mean, please elaborate.

3) I never tried.

4) The mailing is sent. You can not change it after sending.
OpenEMM Maintainer
hzujmccescsl

Re: Effect of modifying CM template after mailing

Post by hzujmccescsl »

2) trackable links present a URL that is formatted something similar to:

<server hostname:<port>>/r.html?uid=1.1l.6.9y.<random/arbitrary/obfuscated string>

where everything from "uid=" on is referred to as a "query string". I need to know how to interpret, or "decipher", that "uid" value so that I can figure out what DB elements are being referenced - and whether all or part of the "query string" is stored somewhere within the DB.

3) I have and afterwards - people attempting to view the trackable links in the delivered mailing got blank screens (ie; the "query string" was no longer valid). What I DON'T know is the "cause and affect" of this process, if any, on DB elements (indexes/element id's) or URL processing/handling.

4) Correct - one cannot change the MAILING after it has been sent out as Normal, but one CAN change the underlying content including the template that was assigned or associated with the delivered mailing. Let me modify the initial short-diagram:

create CM template + content modules -> mailing -> send normal (final) mailing -> unassign CM template from the previous mailing

How does the last step affect what is stored in the DB, or what changes in the DB?

1) What I was hoping to obtain was a flowchart of the underlying OpenEMM processes and their creation of content and indexes/links witin the DB (eg; function/prog abc creates table-1 entry, function/prog def creates table-2 entry and "links" it to table-1 entry by indexes, et cetera).