Concept of Forms and how to use them

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

avarus

Concept of Forms and how to use them

Post by avarus »

Hi,
I have successfully set up OpenEMM on CentOS4.4, I really like the clean workflow and I am able to send lots of emails already, but what bugs me now is the concept of forms which is now the most important part for me as I want to automate the "signup for a newsletter"-procedure.

I searched this forum and found an example signup form:

Code: Select all

<form name="subform" method="post" action="http://$myHost.$tld:8080/form.do"  onSubmit="return check();">
<input type="hidden" name="agnCI" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnFN" value="test">
<input type="hidden" name="agnSUBSCRIBE" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="agnMAILINGLIST" value="1">

<table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1">

<tr><td>Gender:</td><td><input type="radio" name="gender" value="0" checked /> Mr. <input type="radio" name="GENDER" value="1" /> Mrs. </td></tr>
<tr><td>First Name:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="firstname" maxlength="60" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Last Name:&nbsp;</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="lastname" maxlength="60" /></td></tr>

<tr><td>Company:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="company" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Country:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="country" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail:</td><td><input type="text" class="inputtype" name="EMAIL" maxlength="80" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>E-Mail Type:</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="0" /> Text</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="1" checked /> HTML</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="radio" name="mailtype" value="2" /> Inline HTML*</td></tr>
<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="submit" class="inputsubmit" name="submit" value="Subscribe now!" /></td></tr>

</table></form> 
I modified the first variables to my needs and it's just working. I _am_ able to sign me up with no problems, but when I add this double-opt-in feature to my "success" action, I see the text I have defined in the error-text-field.
But whatever I define in actions the user gets added to the mailinglist defined in this html part.

I simply don't know how to build forms where users can signup and I am also interested in the feature of sending a confirmation email where users must click the link in order to get the "newsletter".
I am also interested in how OpenEMM is sending out emails as I know several providers who start to block hosts after a specific amount of requests.

I also downloaded the user manual, but it's shorter than the install guide and I would be very happy if you can give me a hand :).

Thanks in advance!
avarus.