error on first click on Mailings->Content (ALWAYS)

Use this forum for questions regarding adoption and functionality of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

surferjoe

error on first click on Mailings->Content (ALWAYS)

Post by surferjoe »

Hello,
I'm using OpenEMM 5.5.0 on a CentOS 5.2 server (4GB, Dual Xeon 2,4 GHz) . When I click on Mailings -> Content tab, I always got an error on first click. Then, if I retry to click the page will open fine and quick. I'm frustrating about that because the marketing team on my company are writing to me every day about this issue. In some cases, they LOOSE the text that they have just inserted just after this error happens. There is a way to fix this bug? I did not see it on the 5.5.1 release note / bug fixing. I'm seriously thinking to install a different mailer that is more stable than OpenEMM. We used phplist for about one year without having problems (...also if phplist has not advanced marketing capabilities). Please Help me!
Thank you in advance
surferjoe

Post by surferjoe »

Fixed after increasing interactive_timeout on my.cnf and
mysql> alter table mailing_account_tbl add KEY `mailing_id` (`mailing_id`,`company_id`);
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

I am curious: What is the goal of the additional KEY (BTW, company_id is always '1'). In which area do you expect a better performance?
OpenEMM Maintainer
surferjoe

Post by surferjoe »

Hi ma,
happy to hear you! Next time could you please reply with a solution to my issue?

After adding the key, switching between mailing tabs Mailings->Overview->MyMailing) seems to be faster than before. I don't know how openemm works but I saw the URL containing mailing_id parameter while I was surfing between tabs. So I try to add a key where I found the mailing_id on the database. In this way I want to speed up join queries.

Also, on my machine I can't start openemm with an heap size (Xms and Xmx params in openemm/bin/bin/httpd.sh) greater than -J-Xms1496m -J-Xmx1496m. I've added the AggressiveHeap option:
args=" -XX:+AggressiveHeap -J-Xms1496m -J-Xmx1496m"
Is this option helping my openemm?
If I try to increase Xms and Xmx, when I start openemm from shell everithing seems to work, but then when I connect my browser to myopenemm domain, the page "cannot be found" from my browserand I see on jvm_core.log

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap

How can I reach a greater heap size?

Also, sometimes I stil got "JDBC pool exhausted" exception. There is a way to avoid this error?

Thanks in advance.
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Maybe you have too many profiles in the database? Our experience: up to 800,000 is ok, > 1 mio can generate all kind of weird problems because of resource limitations.
OpenEMM Maintainer
surferjoe

Post by surferjoe »

Thanks for your reply ma.

I have about 950,000 names on my db.

About the "JDBC pool exhausted" problem, after changing on file
openemmdir/webapps/core/WEB-INF/classes/emm.properties
the jdbc.maxWait value from 10000 to 60000, it never happened again ... anyway I need to test it deeply.

Do you think that with my actual settings I will be able to to send out about 700,000 names mailings?

May be I need to split the target into 2 or more chunks?
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

I do not know your hardware, just give it a try.
OpenEMM Maintainer
surferjoe

Post by surferjoe »