Maybe a sendmail config issue - Retrying every 1 minute

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

djfenske

Maybe a sendmail config issue - Retrying every 1 minute

Post by djfenske »

Greetings from Colorado...

I Finallly have OpenEMM up and running - sent out my first newsletter to 2300 recipients yesterday. I'm replacing a Lyris Listmanager system with a limited license and I'm excited to have more capacity and control than with that system. And this feels almost as easy to use.

Anyway, my mailing was sent correctly, but in watching my firewall logs and the maillog file, I notice that it keeps attempting to contact the same 2 or 3 recipients and failing once every minute.

I don't have any experience with sendmail - just used the install manual and forum suggestions to configure it. Is a 1-minute retry interval normal? Out of my 2300 recipients, my stats show 44 bounces, but for some reason, these 2 or 3 messages remaining don't terminate with a bounce. Can anyone tell me what's going on, and how to cancel trying to send to these users - or to just try to resend every hour instead of one minute?

Thanks in advance!
David
ud

Post by ud »

You can change the interval of the sendmail queue scan (which is inital one minute) by changing the file bin/mailer.sh. Around line 47 you can change the line

Code: Select all

$sm -q1m -NNEVER -OQueueDirectory=$BASE/var/spool/QUEUE -OPidFile=$BASE/var/run/sendmail-openemm-queue.pid
with

$sm -q60m -NNEVER -OQueueDirectory=$BASE/var/spool/QUEUE -OPidFile=$BASE/var/run/sendmail-openemm-queue.pid
This will reduce the queue scan to 60 minutes. But be aware that this may delay the initial mail sending to 60 minutes, too. You have to restart OpenEMM to make the change active.

-- ud
djfenske

Post by djfenske »

Thanks, "ud'!

I'll give that a try. It appears that these may addresses may no longer be good. I might also try simply removing them from the sendmail queue and then deactivating them in OpenEMM before the next mailing.

Looks like I may need to study sendmail a bit. Everything I've tried to look at so far has been a really steep learning curve. I should probably get the O'Reilly book. Thanks again.
sapeksh

Sendmail configuration for retry

Post by sapeksh »

Though too late for you probably, but for the benefit of others following two properties need to be added to the sednmail.m4 config file (you will need to generate the cf file and restart sendmail)

## Delivery of mail will be retried only once every x minutes or so for i
## any given message even if the the queue is processed more frequently
define(`confMIN_QUEUE_AGE',`1h')

## Determines the life of a message in a queue
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `1d')
tanura

Re:

Post by tanura »

ud wrote:You can change the interval of the sendmail queue scan (which is inital one minute) by changing the file bin/mailer.sh. Around line 47 you can change the line

$sm -q1m -NNEVER -OQueueDirectory=$BASE/var/spool/QUEUE -OPidFile=$BASE/var/run/sendmail-openemm-queue.pid
with

$sm -q60m -NNEVER -OQueueDirectory=$BASE/var/spool/QUEUE -OPidFile=$BASE/var/run/sendmail-openemm-queue.pid
This will reduce the queue scan to 60 minutes. But be aware that this may delay the initial mail sending to 60 minutes, too. You have to restart OpenEMM to make the change active.

-- ud

How is this done on a windows 2008 installation of openemm.
I cannot find a file name mailer.sh inside the bin folder.
kindly help me

regards,
tanura
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Maybe a sendmail config issue - Retrying every 1 minute

Post by maschoff »

Since Sendmail is not available for Windows, OpenEMM for Windows uses its internal SMTP server.
OpenEMM Maintainer
tanura

Post by tanura »

How can we control queue of the internal SMTP server of openemm in windows?
Also how can we control the no of retries of a mail in a queue ?
Kindly reply.
regards,
tanura
kim88

Post by kim88 »

Actualy I'm interested in the same things, knowing this would help me a lot