Windows Installation: configuration of mailserver

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

mnaef

Windows Installation: configuration of mailserver

Post by mnaef »

I am a home user and want to use OpenEMM for sending out newsletters to mailinglists. I think OpenEMM would be the ideal solution for me!
My problem is the following:

I am using Windows, my PC is behind a WLAN router and has a fix IP address in my home network. The router is connected to an ADSL modem. I have smtp access to my Internet provider.

I have installed OpenEMM for Windows as described in the installation text file. I can start the OpenEMM front end, add recipients, mailing lists, etc. I can also send a mailing to a mailing list and OpenEMM will show me that it has generated and sent the email. However the email is never actually sent out. This is not a surprise to me since i have not found a possibility to configure the email connection OpenEMM uses.

Can anyone tell me how i can configure OpenEMM to send emails out via the smtp connection i have to my provider? I know that OpenEMM uses sendmail under Linux but what do i need to do under Windows? There is no explanation in the Windows installation document...

Thanks for any help/experiences...
Markus
ud

Post by ud »

In the pure Windows version, there is, in theory, no configuration necessary for mail sending. The drawback is, you lose the flexibility that you enjoy using sendmail.

All in all, it should send mail at all, if not, look in the directory \OpenEMM\var\spool\ADMIN and/or ...\QUEUE for spool files. If there are spool files, then consult the logfile \OpenEMM\var\log\*-semu.log (the one for the current day) for further informations.

-- ud
sonificator

Post by sonificator »

So what is the purpose of the Windows version if you can not properly send? I have posted several times, outlining the problem, seen in logs, of sendmail not being allowed to connect to various mail hosts (the majority of them), but never gotten a proper response ???????????????
blivengood

Configuring OpenEMM on windows

Post by blivengood »

I am having a similar issue.
Only 20% of my email is being delivered.
Our address in on a spam blacklist because it is a DSL
(even though we have a static IP)

I am trying to go through the code now to see how to rewrite it to use a Smart Host.

I will let you know.
Brandon Livengood
IT Director
Avestra Golf Management
ud

Post by ud »

If it is enough for you to just hard code the smart relay host you can edit bin/scripts/semu.py and replace the line (~ line number 409):

Code: Select all

relay = Spool.relays.getRelay (domain)
with

relay = 'my.mart.relay.com'
(replacing my.smart.relay.com with the proper domain, of course). Be sure to keep the right indention!

-- ud
blivengood

Smart host on windows

Post by blivengood »

I appreciate the response.
It worked for some of the domains, but if the semu.py was able to find a valid mx host, it bypassed the smarthost.

I am looking for a way to send ALL email through the host.

(temporarily I just edited the host file and put in 60 entries to cover the MX records that are used by the domains of our members, it is fairly static, so there should not be any problem.)

But I would most definately like to expand the use of OpenEMM.

I understand that I can do this with the Linux version, but my comfort zone is windows, and my clients does not know linux.

Thanks!
Brandon Livengood
IT Director
Avestra Golf Management
ud

Post by ud »

This code change should do the trick, at least for new mails. If you had already mails in your queue, the relay is cached in the control file. To work around this you either edit these control files and remove the cached entry (the line starting with an X) or you replace the whole block:

try:
                                relay = self.qmap['X'][1:]
                        except KeyError:
                                relay = Spool.relays.getRelay (domain)
                                self.qmap['X'] = 'X%s' % relay
                                self.qfmod = True
by

relay = 'my.mart.relay.com'
Be careful by keeping the proper indention.

-- ud