Sending mails - nothing happening

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

Toot

Sending mails - nothing happening

Post by Toot »

Everything appears to be fine with my fresh-out-the-box v5.1.0 installation on CentOS4, apart from mailings aren't doing anything - the same thing happens with admin/test/normal sends. The only hint that something isn't working properly is that I get a single line in /var/log/maillog, e.g.:

Code: Select all

Jul  2 09:48:20 trillian xmlback[8489]: mail creation: 0;1;1;1;5;A;1;0;2;1;4381
Normal users can send mails OK, e.g.:

Code: Select all

mail -s Test whoever@wherever.com < mailcontentfile
I've had a good dig around the forums and verified that the appropriate packages are installed - at least I think so... the python-like ones are "python-2.3.4-14.3" and "MySQL-python-1.0.0-1.RHEL4.1".

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance,
Toot

PS: This thread appears to be similar but my German isn't up to it I'm afraid - is it hinting that I need a different postfix installation???
Toot

Post by Toot »

There's a load of files - df* and qf* in /home/openemm/var/spool/ADMIN and /home/openemm/var/spool/QUEUE ... so I take it they're just not being sent ... what config am I missing to kick this into life? And/or how/where do I find the logs with the errors!?!?!?

Thanks again,
T
Toot

Post by Toot »

It seems to me like postfix just needs to be told to process the var/spool/ADMIN and var/spool/QUEUE directories ... but I'm new to postfix and can't find anything on configuring it for multiple queues ... I would have expected to find something in the OpenEMM docs somewhere??? As this is pretty key to actually using OpenEMM, someone must have gone through it before ... ????? Please????

TIA,
T
ud

Post by ud »

For proper working OpenEMM, sendmail is required at the moment, postfix is not supported.

-- ud
Toot

Post by Toot »

Ah that would explain it then! You say "at the moment" ... does that mean it's coming? Any idea when?

Thanks for your response.
T
maschoff
Site Admin

No Sendmail required

Post by maschoff »

OpenEMM 5.5 will optionally work without Sendmail (like the Windows version).
OpenEMM Maintainer
jminiko

installation

Post by jminiko »

Hi there,

I have followed the instructions of the wiki, I do not manage to get emailing received. The point is that folders META and ARCHIVE are fully populated after a sending but no mail is received by recipients.
I have the same symptoms here as previous.
Any help appreciated,

platform: centos, hosting: 1and1 dedicated server
Jim
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Does your 1&1 server use sendmail? If not, have you disabled the SMT server and enabled OpenEMM's internal SMTP server?
OpenEMM Maintainer
phx_zs

Re: Sending mails - nothing happening

Post by phx_zs »

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I'm having the same issue. Went through a lot of work and tweaking to get OpenEMM running and now that I've set up some Mailings, Target Groups, Recipients, Mailing Lists and Actions and tried sending out a mailing it says all the emails were sent but I never received anything (to regular, test, or admin sends). There are multiple files in the spool directories.

My server is running CentOS 5.5 with PHP 5.2 and sendmail is installed. I can send emails from the shell. Any advice? Should I try using OpenEMM's internal SMTP (and if so where is the documentation on that)?

Thanks in advance!
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

If your Sendmail does not send mails a switch to OpenEMM's internal mail server won't help (how to do this is described in the OpenEMM Install Guide), because something must be wrong with your configuration.
OpenEMM Maintainer
phx_zs

Post by phx_zs »

The sendmail program is installed correctly and works from the shell...it must just be a configuration issue with my OpenEMM installation. Any ideas of where to look for what would be causing it?

I found this in the FAQ:
http://www.openemm.org/faq/questions/25 ... ux+only%29

#7 says I could try adding "define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')" to my sendmail.mc file. My hosting company (GoDaddy) does have a specific SMTP relay server I can use if that would work.

Thanks!