JDK

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

mokarram

JDK

Post by mokarram »

Dear Openemm,
Can we go with higher JDK versions for openemm 2011 or do you advise to stay with current java6-sun-1.6.0.25/jdk-6u25-linux-i586.bin
base?
Thanks in advance.
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: JDK

Post by maschoff »

As long as you use a JDK 6 version it is no problem, but we have not given JDK 7 a try yet.
OpenEMM Maintainer
unhuman

Post by unhuman »

JDK 7 had some pretty severe loop optimization bugs when it was released. They appear to have been fixed in u1.

Just be mindful of what version you're using and do your own testing.
JayPro

Post by JayPro »

I'm using Centos 6.3 server. Can 'JDK 6u35 with NetBeans 7.2' be installed on a server (no desktop)? I tried to install JDK but i'm getting a "Can't initialize UI" message. "No X11 DISPLAY variable was set..."
JayPro

Post by JayPro »

oh nevermind... used a version without netbeans
directory

Post by directory »

I would go with the user ‘maschoff’ here. You won’t experience a problem as long as JDK version 6. JDK version 7 has some serious bugs, but I think the latest update has it all covered. Thank you! Hope this helps!

Thanks
snoring aids
Last edited by directory on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anton

Post by Anton »

directory wrote:I would go with the user ‘maschoff’ here. You won’t experience a problem as long as JDK version 6. JDK version 7 has some serious bugs, but I think the latest update has it all covered. Thank you! Hope this helps!
From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
Ubuntu official docs wrote: Oracle (Sun) Java 6
WARNING: Oracle Java 6 had reached its end of life in November 2012. There is at least one severe known vulnerability in this version, and since Java 6 is neither supported by Canonical nor Oracle, there may be many more! You should really not install this unless you have a specific need to do so. It is recommended that users either migrate to OpenJDK, or install Oracle Java 7.

Oracle (Sun) Java 6 is no longer available to be distributed by Ubuntu, because of license issues.
The recommended sun-java6-jdk has been removed from the repos. Is OpenJDK 6 officially supported by OpenEMM now? OpenJDK 7? Oracle JDK 7 ?
Thanks !
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Please have a look here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openemm ... 3/Updates/
Java 6 has reached its end of life. If you want to run OpenEMM with Java 7 instead of Java 6 replace library files aspectjrt-1.5.4.jar and aspectjweaver-1.5.4.jar in directory /home/openemm/webapps/openemm/WEB-INF/lib with aspectjrt-1.7.2.jar and aspectjweaver-1.7.2.jar.
OpenEMM Maintainer
Anton

Post by Anton »

maschoff wrote: Please have a look here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openemm ... 3/Updates/
Perfect, thanks. The latest version of the Install documentation (1.0.8, from 2013-07-01) doesn't reflect this.
Thanks for all your great work.