Install successful...App does not start

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

Pegster

Install successful...App does not start

Post by Pegster »

Windows 2008 Server (64bit)
Chose to install 32bit everything (mysql, py, tomcat, java jdk)

Ok, so I have worked thru getting Tomcat6 to install and start successfully and have modified bin/openemm.py to find the installed location of Tomcat6.

OpenEMM installed successfully BUT when I click on start I only see one command screen open and it says:
"Starting up .. home is c:\OpenEMM .. found codebase .. found database."

Nothing else...

If I open IE with http://<mydomain>:8080/ , all I see is a page letting me know that Tomcat was installed successfully.

That's handy, but how do I start OpenEMM???

Thanks for any assistance
maschoff
Site Admin

Re: Install successful...App does not start

Post by maschoff »

Do you have any directories or files in Tomcat's webapps directory? If so, which one?
OpenEMM Maintainer
Pegster

Post by Pegster »

This is the first I've installed tomcat on a windows environment.

What should I be looking for in the Tomcat\webapps subdir?

I guess a more important question...where is OpenEMM expecting Tomcat6 to be installed? C:\tomcat6???

Thanks
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

If OpenEMM does not find your Tomcat installation you can define its path manually in file openemm.py in directory OpenEMM/bin via property "tomcathome". If set to "None" OpenEMM will try to find Tomcat on its own.
OpenEMM Maintainer
Pegster

Post by Pegster »

Please see my initial post...I've already done that.

What should be in the tomcat\webapps folder?
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

5 directories: docs, examples, host-manager, manager and ROOT

Where did you install OpenEMM itsself?
OpenEMM Maintainer
Pegster

Post by Pegster »

The 5 directories that you listed are the directories that are in the tomcat6/webapps subdirectory.

OpenEmm was installed in C:\OpenEMM
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Perfect, that's the way how it should be!
OpenEMM Maintainer
Pegster

Post by Pegster »

Ok...but OpenEMM still does not open or run.

I do not get a logon screen of any kind...

When I go to http://<mydomain>:8080/ all I get is the Tomcat screen.

Any ideas of what I can do next?
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

I am afraid, no.
OpenEMM Maintainer
timr

Post by timr »

Has anyone been able to get OpenEMM 2011 to work with Windows? I've been using OpenEMM 6.2 for over a year with no problems but I've been trying for months to switch over to OpenEMM 2011 and am having some of the same problems already posted. I've figured out the problem but don't know how to resolve it. This is what I've done so far.

1. Tomcat 6 installed. When I run start.bat (OpenEmm), command window gets to "found codebase" "found database" and then stops and a Tomcat command window never opens. If I go to localhost:8080 at this point, I get "Page not found".
2. If I manually start Tomcat (after running start.bat) and reload localhost:8080, I get the 1st OpenEMM 2011 window. If I click on the "log into the OpenEMM application on this server right away" link, I get the log in screen.
3. If I enter the correct log in name and password, I get "A general error occurred".
4. If I start Tomcat WITHOUT running start.bat and then go to localhost:8080, I get the Tomcat management screen.
5. When I look in the OpenEMM error log file, I see a "file Not Found" error when it tries to run Tomcat in the OpemEmm.py file and the error points to "def tomcatexec" around line 516 and "def tomcatstart" around line 525.
6. Per the install instructions, I've uncommented the path to my Tomcat installation in openemm.py

So this is what I think the problem is. When I leave the "tomcathome=None" in openemm.py and run start.bat, I get "Tomcat 6.x not found. Press return for termination". If I comment out "tomcathome=None" and uncomment 'tomcathome=r'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0', and run start.bat, the command window stops after "Found Database". I then check Services and Tomcat is not running. So, for some reason, openemm.py is not making the proper call to start Tomcat.

I do realize that OpenEMM, being an open source program, is not written for Windows but since 6.2 has run fine using Resin, think that I'm close to getting this to work with 2011 and Tomcat.

Question for Programmers: The openemm.py file in 6.2 doesn't have a line for manual path to Resin and finds it automatically. Shouldn't OpenEmm 2011 be able to find Tomcat automatically, without having to hard code the path?
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

We have been able to get OpenEMM running under Windows (XP), of course.

If you get error message "A general error occurred", you should have a look at the log to get more detailed information.

The reason why OpenEMM 6.2 does not need an installation path for Resin is that the OpenEMM 6.2 installation includes Resin bute OpenEMM does not include Tomcat.
OpenEMM Maintainer
raven

Post by raven »

I'm sorry to chime in late on this. I just installed OpenEMM on Windows today and run into the exact same thing. After some hunting, I finally found the issue. The openemm.py can't work with a tomcat path which includes a space (e.g. c:\program files\tomcat). Copy the tomcat directory into something like c:\tomcat and the whole thing works like a charm. Better yet, change the code so the above works...
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Raven, thanks for your feedback! We will change the code and provide a fix as soon as possible.
OpenEMM Maintainer
maschoff
Site Admin

Post by maschoff »

Fix: Open file openemm.py in directory /OpenEMM/bin and replace line 507 with

Code: Select all

args = [cmd]
OpenEMM Maintainer