OpenEMM not working after clean install

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

cyberfab007

OpenEMM not working after clean install

Post by cyberfab007 »

Hello,

I have installed OpenEMM on a centos 5 VPS. I have done the auto updates for centOS and installed JDK1.6.22 without issue.

I have followed the install instructions to a tee and completed every step requested with out error.

I have used the install script from 6.0.2 to install 6.1 (is that the issue?)

The install script ran with out error and I am able to start OpenEMM from the command line with out issues everything goes as planned.

Now I am getting this process "Java Defunct" in my process tree.

I am also getting the 500 Servlett error in my browser.

What do you all think? Could my machine not have enough ram? I am running 512 megs burstable to 756 and while openEMM is running I am sitting at 23%?

Please a reply asap would be nice!

Cyberfab007 - skype
cyberfab007

Did another clean re-install

Post by cyberfab007 »

So did another clean reinstall with out any errors now I get the welcome to OpenEMM install page and when I click on the link to go to the login page I get nothing........... Any help at all?
pheelix

Post by pheelix »

the "Java Defunct" message is often caused by the amount of RAM the server has. when you install openemm on a virtual root server without full privileges and not enough RAM, it might be the case that openemm/java can't run/start.
you can try to create a swap(-file) to overcome that issue or start java with a parameter that lowers the guaranteed RAM for java.
but
1. many providers prohibit the usage of swap on virtual root servers.
for exmaple when you try to create a swapfile and get the messages like:
[root@openemm.org /]# swapon /swapfile
swapon: /swapfile: Operation not permitted
[root@openemm.org /]# swapoff -a
Not superuser.
2. when java has not enough guaranteed memory, it might be the case that openemm won't work properly.