Start From The START!

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

jaykan

Start From The START!

Post by jaykan »

I have some programming experience...I have made several sites in the past, some of the are replicating with .php...I consider myself a hack, not incompetent, certainly not a pro - but I can always get the job done.

I am looking at these instructions, and they make NO sense to me - any help would be greatly appreciated.

My main problem is how to actually install - I have my hosting with HostMonster, they have CentOS...I have mySQL and Java...and I have a dedicated IP.

I have loaded the files to a directory I called openemm via ftp, I have tried various ways to include the OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh file, I have created a tmp folder I have used one in the main directory, I have even tried just leaving the OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh in the openemm folder and accessing it - nothing is working for me so far.

So, starting from scratch, please help me here:
1. How should I get the files onto my server - should I make a different name for the directory, can I use FTP etc...
2. what software are we using to 'activate' these scripts - I have tried PuTTY (with the code ./ OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh) and just accessing them through a browser, no luck.
3. How do I become this 'superuser' they talk about in the instructions?

sorry for these ridiculous NOOB questions here, but I feel like there is something missing from this InstallGuide_OpenEMM document, particularly at the beginning. It sounds like all I need to do is put the OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh file in my tmp folder then change the permissions then run the command - this doesn't work either:

[~/tmp]# chmod u+x OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh
[~/tmp]# ./OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh start (I found If I didn't use start after nothing happened)
-bash: ./OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Ok - no file? watch this when I check the directory:
[~/tmp]# dir
./
../
OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh*
(I deleted all the other files and folders for ease of read...and some privacy)

The file shows up, but with an asterisk behind it...?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated here - Thanks!
J
pheelix

Re: Start From The START!

Post by pheelix »

jaykan wrote: So, starting from scratch, please help me here:
1. How should I get the files onto my server - should I make a different name for the directory, can I use FTP etc...
2. what software are we using to 'activate' these scripts - I have tried PuTTY (with the code ./ OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh) and just accessing them through a browser, no luck.
3. How do I become this 'superuser' they talk about in the instructions?
1. it doenst matter how you bring the files to the server. the only thing that matters it that you get the tar.gz or zip on the server and extract it.
2. putty is good. you can run ./OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh when you are in the openemm-directory. and you have to make it executable with chmod.
3. you become superuser by logging in as root or typing in 'su' in the console.
jaykan wrote: [~/tmp]# ./OpenEMM-Installer-1.2.sh start (I found If I didn't use start after nothing happened)
you can not use 'start' as a parameter in the install-script

but all in all you will get into a lot of trouble when you don't already have the basic knowledge about linux/centos. you will experience more errors and will have trouble to solve them.
jaykan

Post by jaykan »

Thanks for that pheelix!

I think I am going to just pay someone to help me out on this one...It's embarrassing that I can make replicated websites in php and I can't even understand this install guide!

beat down,
J
pheelix

Post by pheelix »

if you need a professional environment where you don't have to care about maintaining the server etc., you can have a look here:http://www.emm-xpress.com/
jaykan

Post by jaykan »

just looking through all this stuff...my initial intent of this was to save a few bucks, I have been paying $18/month for an autoresponder through a company called Response Magic for the last 6 years...they have been really good to me.

I figured if I could get my own (OpenEMM) and host it myself it would be more economical in the long run, even with all the hassle of setting it up, then moving all my lists around...but it looks like I will be paying WAY more for a server that can run this script anyways...

Do you guys know of a way to do this more economically?

I have been looking at VPS:
https://www.burst.net/linvps.shtml
http://vpslink.com/vps-hosting/
http://www.cheaplinuxvps.com/

Do you think any of these would work? Has anyone here tried any of these?

I went the furthest with Burst.net, it looks like they charge extra for things like the cpanel and a firewall...that makes me a little nervous ;)

Thanks again!!
J
pheelix

Post by pheelix »

virtual root servers with linux (best centos, because the manuals for openemm are for it) that give you shell-access and root-privileges should work for openemm.

you don't need the cpanel when you can handle the server with the commandline :roll: and i couldn't find something about extra charges for the firewall. and every server can / should have his own firewall installed, it's 'ip-tables' in centos (mentioned in the openemm - manual, too).
jaykan

Post by jaykan »

Thanks for all the help!