multiple instances of OpenEMM w/ one DB

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

chumpster

multiple instances of OpenEMM w/ one DB

Post by chumpster »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could share their experience and opinion on whether this might work?

Is it possible to have separate instances of OpenEMM running against a single database? To be more clear, I'm sure it's possible, because I could just point the IP of a shared DB, but would it be practical?

I know from Java programming with persistence frameworks that data in the app is not always instantly flushed to the DB, or if an underlying DB change is made the persistence framework may not pick it up.

Therefore would there be issues with things like unsubscribes, or manually changing a scriber's info.

thanks...
lord_alan

Multiple DBs?

Post by lord_alan »

I am not sure I totally understand you, but it would seem to me that it would be fairly straightforward to have multiple databases running on the same database engine. Just give each a prefix or something. Or you could - perhaps do the same on a table basis so each table is prefixed with a unique identifier.

You would almost certainly need to modify the code somewhere and/or add a configuration parameter so each instance can be easily configured but others apps do do similar things.

Other than that I am not sure why you would want to run multiple instances of OpenEMM against one database. That would mean you are sharing common data and you would surely run the risk of data corruption when multiple instances are trying to update the same field with different data.

HTH

Alan
Beck

Post by Beck »

if you would like to share the same database with the same data between multiple servers - it is possible.

you just have to setup the database and change the database config in emm.properties and agn.py