[SOLVED] Running the VMWare image inside VMWare ESX Server

Use this forum for questions regarding installation, upgrading and configuration of OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

elecnix

[SOLVED] Running the VMWare image inside VMWare ESX Server

Post by elecnix »

Hello,

I converted the OpenEMM VMX file to a VMWare Appliance using ovftool (http://register.vmware.com/content/download-ovf-os.html), made it available in our datacenter through HTTP to my server running VMWare ESX, and realized it was dowloading it to my workstation then uploading it back to our datacenter. Since we have 800kbit/s upstream bandwidth, this would take ages to complete, and it took me a while to understand what was going on.

I then tried the VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone Client, specified the OpenEMM VMX and our ESX server, and it successfully imported the VM in our ESX server, which still took several hours.

Unfortunately, it won't boot. Grub does boot the kernel, but can't mount its root filesystem. Here's what I see on the console:

Code: Select all

Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem `/dev/root`
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev/failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
umounting old /dev
umounting old /proc
umounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
I have booted using a rescue CD and mounted /dev/sda3 to look at the fstab file, which contains LABEL=/ for the root filesystem. I have verified that tune2fs shows the "/" label for the correct partition.

Does anyone have a clue as to why it doesn't work?

Does the VMWare image have the SCSI drivers loaded? In the OpenEMM 5.4 Setup Guide for VMWare, I see the following note: NEW: Enabled Support for LSI-SCSI, runs unter VMware ESX. Could it be that this support was forgotten when releasing 5.5.1?
Last edited by elecnix on Wed May 13, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elecnix

Post by elecnix »

I solved the problem by changing the SCSI controller type to LSI Logic.

I'm surprised nobody else had this problem in 3 months!