Sequential emails upon sign-up?

Use this forum for all other questions regarding OpenEMM

Moderator: moderator

storyleader

Sequential emails upon sign-up?

Post by storyleader »

Can OpenEMM do one or both of the following?

1. A user subscribes to a mailing list on day 1. Can OpenEMM automatically send email A to that same user on day 2, then email B on day 8, email C on day 30, etc.?

2. A user subscribes to a mailing list on day 1. Can OpenEMM automatically add that user to a second mailing list on day 90, say? And/or automatically remove that user from the first list on day 120, say?

I've searched in the docs, forums, and wiki, but can't find the answers!

Thanks!
Want to learn storytelling? Free ezine at http://www.storydynamics.com/etips
maschoff
Site Admin

Yes and no

Post by maschoff »

Re 1: Yes, it's called "date based mailing. An example: Every new subscriber should get a greeting mail one day after subscription, two days later a followup mails and one week later a reminder mail. You can define three target groups greeting (creation_date +1 = sysdate), followup (creation_date +3 = sysdate) and reminder (creation_date +10 = sysdate) and three date based mailings which are sent to the according target group. BTW, you can define the exact time of the delivery via the "send mailing" tab of each mailing.

Re 2: Not with OpenEMM, but you can write a SQL script to manipulate the MySQL database (see doc: http://www.openemm.org/fileadmin/docs/O ... le-Doc.txt) and trigger this script with a cronjob each day.
OpenEMM Maintainer
storyleader

Good and Good Enough!

Post by storyleader »

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
ma wrote:Re 1: Yes, it's called "date based mailing.
Ah! I didn't realize that "date based" included relative as well as absolute dates. Cool!
ma wrote:Re 2: Not with OpenEMM, but you can write a SQL script to manipulate the MySQL database (see doc: http://www.openemm.org/fileadmin/docs/O ... le-Doc.txt) and trigger this script with a cronjob each day.
That would do, I think! Can you give me a quick idea of the logic of such a script? What I imagine is this: for each user-signup event (a particular user joining a particular mailing list) there is a stored variable that I'll call startdate. Then the script searchs for all users who belong to List A but not List B and with a startdate for List A < X days before today. Then it creates a new user-signup event for each of those users, adding them to List B and optionally triggering the sending of Email Y (the notification that they've been added to a new list, if desired) to each of those users. Would it be something like that?
Want to learn storytelling? Free ezine at http://www.storydynamics.com/etips
weirdgod

Post by weirdgod »

I am trying to use this for sequention mailings, so that each new subscriber gets 1st follow up mailing on 1 day after subscription, 2nd follow up mailing 5 days after mailing, and 3rd follow up mailing after 20 days...

I am looking over manual (date based mailing), but that example with birthdate does not help me... Could anyone be so kind and guide me step by step on what to do (or point me to an example).

thanks!
robertkresse

Re:

Post by robertkresse »

weirdgod wrote:I am trying to use this for sequention mailings, so that each new subscriber gets 1st follow up mailing on 1 day after subscription, 2nd follow up mailing 5 days after mailing, and 3rd follow up mailing after 20 days...
You have to create three target groups with the following rules:

1 day after subscription: creation_date = date_sub(now(), interval 1 day ) JJJJMMTT
5 days after subscription: creation_date = date_sub(now(), interval 5 day ) JJJJMMTT
20 days after subscription: creation_date = date_sub(now(), interval 20 day ) JJJJMMTT

After that you create one date based mailing for each target group.
Remember: The mailing has to be activated to work!
Ishtiaq

Re: Sequential emails upon sign-up?

Post by Ishtiaq »

This is very nice post thanks a lot...!!
Pass your Braindumps.com and 1z0-821 exams in first try by